SO cord in Class 1 Div 1 on rated motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zstroken

What are the applications that this is allowed. Best I can tell is NEC says if the cable doesn't allow transmission of gas. The Motor is Class 1 Div 1 Rated.
It is sealed from the peckerhead. Is So cable ok? If so where are the seals(if any) required? I have seen the MC-HL cable used, but this guy is telling me that SO is ok. Typically we use the explosionproof flex.

bobgorno

Zstroken said:
What are the applications that this is allowed. Best I can tell is NEC says if the cable doesn't allow transmission of gas. The Motor is Class 1 Div 1 Rated.
It is sealed from the peckerhead. Is So cable ok? If so where are the seals(if any) required? I have seen the MC-HL cable used, but this guy is telling me that SO is ok. Typically we use the explosionproof flex.

See 501.10(A)(2) and 501.140. Basically if it is a portable motor, you can use SO if you meet all the provisions of these articles. If it is a fixed motor, use your XP flex.

An XP motor is sealed at the factory. Whether you seal at the P'head is probably going to be dependent on your conduit size. 501.15(A)(1)(2)

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
As stated by one of the prominent manufacturers, explosion proof flex (actually a flexible coupling) is to be used ??in hazardous areas where a flexible member is required in a conduit system to accomplish difficult bends, or to allow for movement or vibration of connected equipment or units.? In my opinion, it does a very good job for the two applications I underlined. Where any significant long-term movement is involved it is rather poor. Where significant movement is required I prefer an ?extra-hard usage? cord installed per Section 501.140.

Status
Not open for further replies.