So how frozen is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GerryB

I am going to attempt to drive a couple of ground rods Saturday here in CT. Thought I might drill a hole with the hilti and go from there. The ground is maybe frozen a foot? More?

As cold as everything has been, I'd guess it's frozen to your frost line. That must be around 36" in CT or something close to that.

I think generally it doesnt freeze nearly as deep as folks think. Here in central NY where the "frost line" is generally stated to be 4 feet, I find if snow is not removed it wont freeze more than 6 inches. My water line is about 24 inches deep and has parts where the snow is continually removed and it has never frozen.

cadpoint

Interesting subject, came across this map made in 1927 based of one from 1866!

I'd say it's pretty frozen :), your in mesic soil, and if you read about soil moisture from this site, which gives a broad explanation (IMO) you'll understand it's a crap shot as to where you desired placement might be if you read more in length and study the terrain at your site.

LOL, you could also heat up the rods!

Your frost line is 42" to 50" and here in N. Carolina it is 6" to 10"

GerryB

Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how I make out. I'm thinking that since I am driving them close to the house that maybe the house itself keeps the ground warm. Also I saw mulch on top of the ground where I'll be putting the rods. I'm not killing myself though:)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Thanks for the replies, I'll let you know how I make out. I'm thinking that since I am driving them close to the house that maybe the house itself keeps the ground warm. Also I saw mulch on top of the ground where I'll be putting the rods. I'm not killing myself though:)

I hope you have the ground rod cup for the Hilti and yup that frost line will be at least 4' because we had the deep freeze before any snow. So because of the snow the top may be softer but there is really nothing for the rest of the ground to be warm, see if you can get a long drill bit that may help you pull it off..:D

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I hope you have the ground rod cup for the Hilti and yup that frost line will be at least 4' because we had the deep freeze before any snow. So because of the snow the top may be softer but there is really nothing for the rest of the ground to be warm, see if you can get a long drill bit that may help you pull it off..:D

i have two of those ground rod driver cups, in case i lose one.
they are my friends.

i've been driving a lot of strut in the ground to hold concrete forms
and sonotubes. makes a kick ass form stake, especially as the ground
where i'm driving them used to be a gravel terminal, and had 40' tall
piles of gravel sitting there for years. there's a 6" layer of compressed
soil that is harder than 2500 psi concrete. it'll take about 5 minutes to
get the strut thru that layer. on a positive note, the stakes don't pull out.
they don't come out at all... just cut them off flush when i'm done, and
drive them a couple inches further, and cover them up.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
i have two of those ground rod driver cups, in case i lose one.
they are my friends.

i've been driving a lot of strut in the ground to hold concrete forms
and sonotubes. makes a kick ass form stake, especially as the ground
where i'm driving them used to be a gravel terminal, and had 40' tall
piles of gravel sitting there for years. there's a 6" layer of compressed
soil that is harder than 2500 psi concrete. it'll take about 5 minutes to
get the strut thru that layer. on a positive note, the stakes don't pull out.
they don't come out at all... just cut them off flush when i'm done, and
drive them a couple inches further, and cover them up.

How do you fit a ground rod driver cup on Unitstrut?

Mark

GerryB

Frozen ground update

Frozen ground update

Well, I guess the ground wasn't too frozen, the rods went in pretty much as usual with my 48oz hammer. (I do have to get one of those cups someday). The HO is from the Ukraine, he said you need 3 months below freezing to get to that frost line, so maybe he's right. Plus as I said I was close to the foundation of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.