Sock Ons

Status
Not open for further replies.

mltech

sock ons

sock ons

There were essentially a 1/2 or 3/4 threaded body that you pushed on to the end of emt.
They did not have set screws or compression but had a spring steel inner lip that made them virtually impossible to get off.
extremely low profile threaded connector that looked like you cut the body off of a set screw connector, all you had left was a lip and threads that you socked on to the end of the conduit.
hope that explains it?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
There were essentially a 1/2 or 3/4 threaded body that you pushed on to the end of emt.
They did not have set screws or compression but had a spring steel inner lip that made them virtually impossible to get off.
extremely low profile threaded connector that looked like you cut the body off of a set screw connector, all you had left was a lip and threads that you socked on to the end of the conduit.
hope that explains it?

Is this what you are talking about?

emt.jpg

mltech

No, but if you cut the yellow insulated throat connector below the lip on the flat side and left the threads that's what you would have - a sock on, but the pipe extended all the way to the end of the
threads inside in connector. the spring steel part was inside the lip.

GUNNING

sharkbite?

sharkbite?

like a shark bite?
137937.jpg

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Is this what you are talking about?

View attachment 5748

the one in the lower right hand corner is what he's looking for, i believe.

you slipped them on emt and tapped them on with your klien's, or whatever.

there is a spring steel gripping washer inside the ferrule, similar to a
sharkbite water fitting, but not releasable, you had to cut them off.

one job i was on used them, but it's been over 30 years...... never
seen them before or since.

tkb

hope that explains it?

Is this it?
I used to use them 30 years ago with a contractor when I was an apprentice.
I haven't seen them since. The ones we used had a better quality thread and came with a thin coupling.

tomic.jpg

Last edited:

norcal

Thanks for finding them. For a second there I thought I was going crazy!
Wonder why they disappeared?
Thanks all!

Sierra & Tomic were owned by General Signal & prev, I think a company called Sola Basic, Pass & Seymour /Legrand bought Sierra Electric but a few years ago dropped the whole Sierra line (They do own Slater too) suspect they only wanted 1 line of plates/ devices, but have no idea what happened to the Tomic fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.