Soda fountain machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Are soda fountain machine ul listed as vending machine? I have one in restaurant in dining area direct wired does not accept money people just go with glass to get soda and was wondering gfci would be required.

Last edited:

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If is self-service but does not accept money, I do not see it as being a vending machine. I would call it a dispenser instead.

Its like this: you pay cashier who then gives you cup and then you get soda

b42a583c30ac15b0798e68f6ca777062.jpg

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The UL White Book listing (TSYA) includes "dispensing by manual operation". The key would be to see if it's listed as an "appliance", The ones I have seen are and GFCI was required.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
The UL White Book listing (TSYA) includes "dispensing by manual operation". The key would be to see if it's listed as an "appliance", The ones I have seen are and GFCI was required.

If I had the soft drink fountain datasheet then where does it say UL listed as appliance or vending machine?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Likely only on the equipment nameplate.
If you are doing plans review, do the plans call for GFCI ?
If so, I wouldn't question it. If not, your inspector should catch it in the field.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
Likely only on the equipment nameplate.
If you are doing plans review, do the plans call for GFCI ?
If so, I wouldn't question it. If not, your inspector should catch it in the field.

Plans don’t call for gfci. However I have other items for which plans need to be sent back.

Dont have nameplate. However I was wondering if the equipment datasheet would have something

I do see if its listed as vending machine then require gfci. However I dont see if its listed as appliance require gfci in NEC 2017?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I agree.. I mis-stated.. IF it's listed as a vending machine, (or in a food prep area as defined as "kitchen") GFCI. If not no.
It will likely end up being a field call by the inspector.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If that is plug and cord connected unit it has no business being part of a code review. The only thing you need to be concerned with is whether the area it is to be located in requires GFCI protection of the receptacle.

As an aside, newer vending machines are required to have integral GFCI protection

Roger

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If that is plug and cord connected unit it has no business being part of a code review. The only thing you need to be concerned with is whether the area it is to be located in requires GFCI protection of the receptacle.

As an aside, newer vending machines are required to have integral GFCI protection

Roger
True can't control what gets plugged into an outlet. Just like an arguement that HO is only going to plug in a refrigerator in an outlet in kitchen within the 6ft of sink. Or business owner that has a room with stove, sink and refrigerator, but claims it not a kitchen to avoid meeting those requirements.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Soda dispenser is direct wired. Its located in dining area accessible to public and it is Not within six feet of sink
Then no GFCI required unless the manufacturer specs call for it .

Rogee

Hoodood

Occupation
Electrical foreman
Seems commercial so there should be an EE involved. Cover yourself and throw it on him before you install.

Status
Not open for further replies.