sodium light on photo cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcclary's electrical

what would make a sodium porch light come on at night then cycle off and on?Tryed tapeing the foto cell and it still cycles.

Make sure the correct bulb is installed.Many times a homeowner will put in a HPS where it should be MH,or vice versa,if that's not it,get a rebuild kit for the fixture.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Make sure the correct bulb is installed.Many times a homeowner will put in a HPS where it should be MH,or vice versa,if that's not it,get a rebuild kit for the fixture.

I agree and also ask how old is the lamp?

Roger

ohmhead

Well how about a bad connection or fixture xtmr in wiring or a lamp not screwed in tight or the lamp is to close to the photo cell and its shutting it of then it turns back on and after some time its shutting it down change the angle of photo cell or distance from it to lamp .

Tape does not totally close the brite lite off sometimes .

Gas lamps need voltage to start and emit if its just a few volts off it will cut out or cycle .

Last edited:

mcclary's electrical

Well how about a bad connection or fixture xtmr in wiring or a lamp not screwed in tight or the lamp is to close to the photo cell and its shutting it of then it turns back on and after some time its shutting it down change the angle of photo cell or distance from it to lamp .

He eliminated all theses possibilities with the black tape

ohmhead

Well i had a helper tape a photo cell once and he put one single rap on it you know what i mean .

Funny part was after all that he came down in the bucket truck next day the pole lite was on all day he forgot to take it off !:roll::roll:

AV ELECTRIC

How old is the fixture has the bulb ever been changed Try replacing the bulb first . I would not spend to much time with a front porch light with photocell as I believe you are talking about if a new bulb doesn't work replace light with new if its a new light take it back and get another remember not to place hands on bulbs possibly shorten life of bulb.

mcclary's electrical

Tape does not totally close the brite lite off sometimes .

Gas lamps need voltage to start and emit if its just a few volts off it will cut out or cycle .

Nice edit, this wasn't there a minute ago:D

ty

Possibly mixed the line and load wires?

I agree this is possible. So the photocell is bypassed and there is a bulb operating at end-of-life.

Check wiring, and replace bulb and possibly photocell. Ifit isn't mis-wired, it possibly isn't working properly.

Also, try putting a work glove around the photocell and taping it. Make it extra dark.

cschmid

what would make a sodium porch light come on at night then cycle off and on?Tryed tapeing the foto cell and it still cycles.

I am going to assume alot here since you said it was a sodium porch light..the bulb is 95% of the cost of this fixture..just replace the whole fixture they come with the bulb. the thermal overload is bad and you can mess with it and find no parts or just replace it and move on, cheaper for all..

ohmhead

I challenge you to get light to pass through a layer if black tape.:cool:

Well the tape we get today or the tape from years ago the tapes today are getting thinner or our purchasing people are getting tight seems like duct tape last half life today just funnin but a couple of good raps not just one you know what i mean now .

:D

nrp3

Touching a HPS or MH bulb with bare hands will shorten its life? I know not to touch the halogens, but the others?

Den

Touching a HPS or MH bulb with bare hands will shorten its life? I know not to touch the halogens, but the others?

I did sevice work for 7 years at our local poco and have had to chage out hundreds of these pole mounted ballast's. The mercury vapor lights were good and would last for decades but the sodium lights have an electronic circuit which tends to go bad quickly and the only cure is replacement. It does not hurt to touch these bulbs as they have an "element"that is inside a glass envelope (so to speak) and you are not touching the part that is getting hot like on a halogen. If you check things out and they seem ok( as per other posts) the cure will be a change out. Cells and bulbs are usually not the cause of blinking sodium lights.

dick621

I want to thank everyone for their input. I'll be going to check everything out tomorrow. If I find the definite cause I will post back.
Dick Howard Electrician

Status
Not open for further replies.