Solar AC Disconnect vs Rapid Shutdown Entering a Building

darunedefig

Occupation
Electrician
Trenched AC wires run from a detached shed/garage/ground mount with solar to a house.
Normally before I penetrate a house I would place an AC disconnect on the exterior wall of the house.
Following NEC 2017,
"225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure served or
where the conductors pass through the building or structure.
The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location
nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the
purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be
utilized."

I have this one job where the customer is wanting us to penetrate the basement from the trench, run conduit across basement,
then penetrate back out to exterior wall, and then place a rapid shutdown disconnect next to the utility meter.
Normally I would be installing two disconnects, with one near utility meter and another disconnect prior to the wires from the solar array entering the building.
Looking at this forum most of the posts that I saw concerning this are prior to rapid shutdown and prior to 2017.

In NEC 2017,2020,or 2023, is there anything in the code that only requires the rapid shutdown device where 225.32 does not apply?
Can I get away with the one disconnect by the utility meter?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Trenched AC wires run from a detached shed/garage/ground mount with solar to a house.
Okay, I'm understanding you to be describing a grid-tie-only solar system on a building or structure remote from the house, with the utility service at the house, and no backup power or DC coming from the remote location to the house. My responses below assume all this.

Normally before I penetrate a house I would place an AC disconnect on the exterior wall of the house.
Following NEC 2017,
"225.32 Location. The disconnecting means shall be installed
either inside or outside of the building or structure served or
where the conductors pass through the building or structure.
The disconnecting means shall be at a readily accessible location
nearest the point of entrance of the conductors.
For the
purposes of this section, the requirements in 230.6 shall be
utilized."
Why? The feeder from the building or structure with solar does not energize the house.
I have this one job where the customer is wanting us to penetrate the basement from the trench, run conduit across basement,
then penetrate back out to exterior wall, and then place a rapid shutdown disconnect next to the utility meter.
You don't need a separate rapid shutdown disconnect at all on the house if the array is only at the remote building. Moreover, your service disconnect can usually serve as the rapid shutdown switch. So you don't need a separate rapid shutdown switch, or any separate solar disconnect at the house according to the NEC. The utility might require one.

Normally I would be installing two disconnects, with one near utility meter and another disconnect prior to the wires from the solar array entering the building.
I don't see why you need either disconnect per the NEC. Again, the utility might require one.

In NEC 2017,2020,or 2023, is there anything in the code that only requires the rapid shutdown device where 225.32 does not apply?
Can I get away with the one disconnect by the utility meter?
Honestly I think you need to read through all of 690.12 (Rapid Shutdown) and better understand the requirements. A rapid shutdown switch is only required at the building with the array(s), and it can be the service or feeder disconnect if that initiates rapid shutdown with your inverter technology.

I also think you are over interpreting 225.32. Unless the solar provides some kind of backup power that energizes the feeder that connects to the house, it doesn't 'supply' the house IMO. So you don't need a 225.32 disconnect at the house in that situation. You would need one at the building with the solar.