SOLAR EDGE - Power Optimizers

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
According to their installation instructions, all solar panels must have a "Power Optimizer" connected to each panel, for proper operation. Never worked with this brand before.

Attachments

• EXPERT CONSULTAN - Solaredge-home-wave-inverter-single-phase_Page_1.jpg
    EXPERT CONSULTAN - Solaredge-home-wave-inverter-single-phase_Page_1.jpg
    395.4 KB · Views: 11
  • power-optimizer-grounding-using-grounding-terminal.jpg
    power-optimizer-grounding-using-grounding-terminal.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 11

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
According to their installation instructions, all solar panels must have a "Power Optimizer" connected to each panel, for proper operation. Never worked with this brand before.
Either one or two modules per optimizer, yes, and their stringing rules are completely different from other inverters.

mtnelect

Occupation
What is your question about it?
Either one or two modules per optimizer, yes, and their stringing rules are completely different from other inverters.
Yes, it is somewhat of a unique setup in th industry. I have never cared for it.

I haven't received the Engineering Stamped Plans yet, so I am trying to come up to speed on this inspection. When I get the plans then I can compare to what's been installed. At this point the contractor did not install the "Power Optimizers".

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I have them installed. Super happy with them. There is really good training on the system available at https://www.solaredge.com/en/installers/learning-center.

A key differentiator between Solar Edge and Enphase is this:

Solar Edge has optimizers at each panel and sends DC to a single inverter which connects to the building and its services at or near the first means of disconnect.

Enphase has mini inverters at each panel and sends DC to the panel.

There are arguments for each approach. For me it boils down to:
1) Want to add another panel to Enphase... really easy... just add it.
2) For SolarEdge, there is only one DC to AC conversion... so if you're going to batteries, cars, etc... you aren't inverting/converting multiple times.

ggunn

Occupation
I haven't received the Engineering Stamped Plans yet, so I am trying to come up to speed on this inspection. When I get the plans then I can compare to what's been installed. At this point the contractor did not install the "Power Optimizers".
SolarEdge inverters cannot work without optimizers, and the modules and optimizers must be strung according to the rules on the data sheet for whichever optimizer you are using. SolarEdge is a different ball game from conventional string inverters.

SolarEdge inverters cannot work without optimizers, and the modules and optimizers must be strung according to the rules on the data sheet for whichever optimizer you are using. SolarEdge is a different ball game from conventional string inverters.
So what is the argument for using the solar edge system? Seems like you might as well just use micros. How does the cost compare?

ggunn

Occupation
So what is the argument for using the solar edge system? Seems like you might as well just use micros. How does the cost compare?
I didn't run the numbers at my last employer, but for small (residential) systems we used microinverters and for larger (commercial) rooftop systems we used SolarEdge inverters. One disadvantage for using micros for larger systems is that the interconnection cabling is typically AWG #12, so you are limited to a small number of micros per branch circuit. CAVEAT: There are some microinverters coming out now that are designed for larger systems, but I don't have any experience with them.

Reactions: Zee

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So you are an inspector now?
How did they get a permit without plans? Most systems that would use one of the inverters in your link would not require engineering. Smaller systems are typically boiler plate designs done by draft persons. Actually most of the PV installers out there are basically robots than would not know how to wire the "strings" without some type of plan.

mtnelect

Occupation
So you are an inspector now?
How did they get a permit without plans? Most systems that would use one of the inverters in your link would not require engineering. Smaller systems are typically boiler plate designs done by draft persons. Actually most of the PV installers out there are basically robots than would not know how to wire the "strings" without some type of plan.

I am now semi-retired and consult for the CSLB. And testify at Administrative Hearings, when required.

The installing contractor had these issues:
1) Installed a new 200-amp service
2) Didn't have it "Spotted" by DWP before installing
3) Borrowed someone's else's license to file for a permit
4) A correction notice on several issues was issued by Building & Safety

PWDickerson

Occupation
Solar Contractor
SE is cheaper but less reliable than Enphase.
But when a SE inverter has an issue, it is easy to replace. When a micro-inverter has an issue at a roof-mounted array (95% of our work is roof-mounted), it is a lot harder to swap it out.

Reactions: Zee

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The Solar Edge optimizers are often a source of RFI interference.
HAM radio operators often complain when a neighbor has them installed.
It's apparently more the whole design of placing a lot of PWM power electronics on a giant loop antenna, rather than the individual optimizers themselves. But yes.

There are mitigation strategies but I didn't have much luck with them.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
But when a SE inverter has an issue, it is easy to replace. When a micro-inverter has an issue at a roof-mounted array (95% of our work is roof-mounted), it is a lot harder to swap it out.
Mmm... No. A micro going down doesn't take out the whole circuit. The optimizer sometimes does, and is the same PITA to replace as the micro. But that's all kindof irrelevant since all types of Solaredge components need to be replaced more often than the competition.

69gp

I have had Solar Edge on my house for 12 years. 24 modules installed and I have shade in the morning on the east side. Those modules don't generate power for a few hours then kick in. I have had 2 optimizers fail under the panels. With the SE you map the optimizers out when you install and if you ever have a problem's its easy to look on your DAS to locate the failure. On the photo below their is one module that is showing zero production this is how you can tell you have a bad optimizer or module. This module was removed for an addition and that is why its showing 0 Watts. Overall I am happy with this and if you have shading then you want optimizers. A regular string inverter may not start up with shading on a few modules.

SEdas1.png

paullmullen

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Solar Edge vs EnPhase debate is a lot like the Windows vs Mac debate. They each have compelling reasons to use them. Neither stands clearly superior to the other. I know my Mac-user friends will disagree.