Solar Installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanA

I don't remember if it is just local codes, or state wide but starting next month they will be requiring all wiring on solar installations here to be done by a qualified electrician.

I have done the wiring on quite a few installations around here, but I am not technically a qualified electrician for solar.

Can anyone direct me to a good course for qualification that is somewhat close to Wyoming?

donf

"Qualified"

"Qualified"

To the best of my knowledge there are two ways to go about this.

1) Contract with the manufacturer of the equipment to install and service their equipment and take whatever required training they feel you need. Then get certification from them as to your qualifications.

2) Take 2 yrs. of electrical training school either at the Community College level or through an IBEW (International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) school. Then after the appropriate Apprentice Training, test for a Journeyman's Electrical License.

I'm sure there may be other methods, but there is no short-cut. The reason your State is mandating that qualified electricians do the work is more than likely because of a high incidence of consumer complaints and/or shoddy workmanship.

Last edited:

RyanA

I guess this is what I'm after.

Effective July 1, 2011 ? NABCEP (National American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners) certification (or equivalent) is required: electrical work related to PV installations, the installation of PV modules, and the installation of PV module mounting equipment is subject to on-site supervision by a Certified Photovoltaic Energy Practitioner as designated by NABCEP or other nationally recognized professional organization designated by the Colorado State Electrical Board.

I am already a licensed Journeyman.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
To get your NABCEP you need to lead a key component of at least 2 solar installations. You can do this while under the supervision of a NABCEP certified installer, but you must be the major contributor. In addition to NABCEP, you also want to get to where you eat, sleep, breath and dream Article 690. It sounds like if you're not already close to being able to claim the installation aspect, you could be just by asking whoever is the lead for whatever you're doing to allow you to do it -- and tell them why. I have my two installs, I just need to sit for the test.

The hard parts are you're working with DC, you're working on roofs, and you're working on parts that CANNOT be de-energized. Other than that, it's just wiring and a different kind of structural do-dads.

c_picard

not just local anymore?

not just local anymore?

690.4(E) now says all PV components shall be installed by a "qualified person", so anywhere that has adopted and is enforcing the 2011 code, you need to at least have some documented trainiing.

RyanA

George, I got it from Colorado. I was under the impression that Wyoming and several other states were all adapting the same rules, but it seems that I was wrong.

I believe that Wyoming is only requiring that the actual wiring of the solar installations be done by a licensed electrician, no special qualification like NABCEP is required.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
It should be said that a "licensed electrician" and a "NABCEP certified installer" are not the same thing. There is some overlap in the subject areas, but that overlap is a fraction for both certifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.