Solar Installer Certification - IRA program

mthelen

New User
Occupation
Utility-Scale Solar
The IRA requires Journeyman Solar Installers, even though the Fed doesn't recognize the Solar Installer as a certified position. I've been told just give a 50-question test to potential Journeyman installers. This is NOT for Electrical Apprenticeships, but for Solar Installer Apprenticeships. Most of my career as a manager was in manufacturing so I am pretty limited here.

Anyone have some examples of questions that would be appropriate for a Solar Installer Journeyman?

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
I have not seen that the IRA specifically requires Journeyman Solar Installers, but I have not looked in detail at updates to the guidance in a few months. I believe the requirement is for prevailing wage rates to be paid and a certain portion of workers be in a registered apprenticeship program during construction. I believe you are right that "solar installer" is not yet a recognized position in terms of government classification, but there are other apprentice programs that would fit. Also, the requirement only applies to solar projects with AC inverter capacity of 1MW or larger. Smaller projects qualify for the 5X tax credit multiplier without any apprenticeship requirements.

If you are looking for how to create an informal Solar Installer Apprenticeship, maybe start by having the apprentices obtain their NABCEP PV Associate certification. There are lots of training partners that would have materials needed for this.

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
you could always buy one of these:
or

you could always buy one of these:
or
Thanks will do

Irving21h

Occupation
Safety Director
The IRA requires Journeyman Solar Installers, even though the Fed doesn't recognize the Solar Installer as a certified position. I've been told just give a 50-question test to potential Journeyman installers. This is NOT for Electrical Apprenticeships, but for Solar Installer Apprenticeships. Most of my career as a manager was in manufacturing so I am pretty limited here.

Anyone have some examples of questions that would be appropriate for a Solar Installer Journeyman?
I'm having the same issues in Texas. Have you found out how to become a solar installer journeyman?

Irving21h

Occupation
Safety Director
I don't know what that it; could you be thinking of a NABCEP certification?
I have already secured an apprenticeship, but I need to find individuals who can become certified journeymen. Would obtaining NABCEP certification be sufficient for this?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I have already secured an apprenticeship, but I need to find individuals who can become certified journeymen. Would obtaining NABCEP certification be sufficient for this?
Some AHJs require that solar contractors have at least one NABCEP professionally certified person on an installation crew, but I have no idea what a "solar installer journeyman" is.

Irving21h

Occupation
Safety Director
Some AHJs require that solar contractors have at least one NABCEP professionally certified person on an installation crew, but I have no idea what a "solar installer journeyman" is.
Me neither; that's why I'm having trouble finding one or similar. Thanks though.

ggunn

Occupation
Me neither; that's why I'm having trouble finding one or similar. Thanks though.
Who is telling you that you need this credential? I have been in solar since 2008 and I have never heard of it; as far as I know it doesn't exist.

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
All I see are some states require a journeyman electrician. Taken from:

National Solar Licensing Database​

Texas

Licensing (PV)
A state electrical contractor license is required for any company in the business of installing, erecting, repairing or altering electrical systems, or apparatus used for electrical light, heat, power or signaling. Person(s) performing the PV electrical installation for the electrical contractor must be a licensed electrician. The Texas Electrical Safety and Licensing Act allows for municipal and regional regulation.

There are some states requiring you to be a Journeyman Electrician to oversee the wiring, like:

New Mexico

Licensing (General)

• Solar installations (PV and solar thermal) are included under electrical and mechanical licenses
  • A company must have a Qualifying Party (master electrician or master plumber) of the appropriate trade to contract for a solar installation and a person with a journeyman license is expected to do the hands-on work
Licensing (PV)

• A journeyman certificate of competence in the appropriate trade classification for the work to be performed is required of all individuals performing electrical wiring
  • An apprentice may work under the direct supervision of a validly certified journeyman, who is employed by a validly licensed person, or a holder of a valid annual permit.Journeyman certifications shall be issued such that the certificates parallel the electrical license classification scopes

New Hampshire

Licensing (PV)

• A master electrician’s license is required, although a journeyman in the employment of a master electrician could perform the installation but the master is ultimately responsible. The master electrician is responsible for the entire installation
  • The Board issues Master and Journeyman electrician’s licenses and apprentice ID cards
    • Education/experience:
      • To qualify for the master’s licensing exam you must work as a New Hampshire-licensed journeyman for at least one year
      • To qualify for the journeyman’s licensing exam you need 8,000 hours of work experience and an Associate Degree in Electricity (or Board-approved equivalent). You can use your schooling for up to one year of the work experience requirement
      • To qualify for an apprentice electrician identification card you need to register as an apprentice with the Bureau of Apprenticeship and Training of the U.S. Department of Labor or a state apprenticeship agency. The Board may accept out-of-state work experience and education for any of these requirement

Connecticut

Licensing (PV)

• A contractor (employer) must have a Home Improvement Contractors (HIC) license as well as PV-1 or E-1 license and must be listed with the Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (for rebate eligibility)
  • A PV installer must have a PV-1 license to perform installations or an E-1 master electrician’s license for electrical work; or the installer must have an E-2 electrician’s license or a PV-2 license and be in the employ of a licensed electrical contractor
  • An employee of any company installing PV systems must have PV-1, PV-2, E-1, or E-2 license or be an apprentice to one of the licenses and working under their direct supervision
  • An employee of a licensed contractor may do hoisting, placing and attachment of modules without a license
  • The Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (CCEF) requires all approved eligible PV contractors to have at least one permanent employee successfully complete and pass the NABCEP entry level PV exam

ggunn

Occupation
All I see are some states require a journeyman electrician. Taken from:

National Solar Licensing Database​

[...]​

Connecticut

Licensing (PV)
[...]
  • The Connecticut Clean Energy Fund (CCEF) requires all approved eligible PV contractors to have at least one permanent employee successfully complete and pass the NABCEP entry level PV exam
That is a pretty low bar; the NABCEP entry level PV exam is an easy test for anyone with general electrical experience and a bit of solar training. The NABCEP professional certifying exam is another thing entirely.

Irving21h

Occupation
Safety Director
What does the IRA state about being in compliance with solar installation? I heard that apprentices worked 15% of the hours. Let me know. Thanks

scrubbin

Occupation
maintenance Tech
Taken from "Solar Power World"
The solar workforce is changing because of IRA apprenticeship and prevailing wage requirements that went into effect in January (2023). Contractors that haven’t yet made a long-term recruitment plan have a few options available to help them do so.

To collect the full 30% ITC for projects 1 MWAC and larger, contractors with four or more workers on a jobsite must employ apprentices for a certain percentage of labor-hours and pay prevailing wages to all workers. For projects starting in 2023, registered apprentices must make up 12.5% of the on-site labor during the construction phase. That number increases to 15% for projects that start construction in 2024 and after.
Also:
While it was unclear whether the DOL would create an entirely new “solar installer” Registered Apprenticeship at the start of the IRA rollout, the DOL has now issued a memo clarifying that the solar industry should instead use existing apprenticeship and prevailing wage occupations that already fit the job roles on a solar construction site. Those can include construction craft laborers, electricians, pile drivers and wiremen.

Last edited:

ggunn

Occupation
Becoming an electrical apprentice around here is (or at least was) as simple as filling out a form and sending it in with a registration fee. Fifteen years or so ago it was $20.