Solar panels and roof leaks ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm sorry but first I can't help but question if you're being for real. Solar City has been Tesla since 2016. And you're putting away Christmas decorations in October? I mean, maybe I'm being way off base and if so I apologize, but ... weird.

Anyway, if you say they're sending someone out on a Saturday the day after you called that's a good start, arguably especially for SC/Tesla. I'm not going to try to comment on a roof leak from here; the fix could be easy for the tech they send out, or beyond his/her capabilities, or difficult to find for the most experienced roofer. Best advice is to watch it like a hawk and make clear you expect them to repair any damages if they don't fix it.

Electrical Geek

Lead PV Service Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I had a Fiero GT once upon a time. A huge hailstorm came through at work and a bunch of us went out on the porch to watch the carnage.

I'm thinking my car won't have any damage until a hailstone cracked one of the fake window things. A friend's car didn't fare as well. His car came out of it looking not unlike a golf ball and was totaled as a result.

That kind of storm isn't unheard of in Texas and I never, not once, saw a panel get damaged. One of the things I believe will revolutionize solar production, especially in urban areas, is using panels as construction material - covered walks, parking lots, any place where it would be nice to have a bit more protection from the sun and rain is a place where solar panels belong.
We are doing a fair amount of car ports here. They work well and haven't broken, yet.

Zee

A solar install remaining leak free depends on installer.
Depends on the how more than the what.
It is a labor intensive process.
Applying compatible caulking/sealant, using caulking even when optional, flashing key ways, using metal flashing barriers for unused penetrations (not just caulk), and just knowing how successive courses of shingles work are crucial factors.

Although the current line up of flashed mounts are much improved.

The flatter the roof, the more crucial the details become.

In my experience, it hasn't been an issue for decades, except on 2 jobs. Small leaks.
There were other leaks reported.....and they ended up being other things, e.g skylite, hvac etc