Solar Photovoltaic System

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacomafc

My question is regarding article 690. I had an inspector fail a job that I installed because I did not use a backfeed circuit breaker. I used a 2 pole 30 amp circuit breaker located at the bottom of the panel and labeled. Has anyone ever heard of a backfeed circuit breaker before. If you read article 690.63.B.5 is states that there is no special requirements. Thank you 4 your time.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
You will need to check the listing on the breaker and determine if it is suitable for backfeeding.
All breakers are suitable for backfeeding unless the terminals on the breaker are marked line and load.
Don

tshea

don_resqcapt19 said:
You will need to check the listing on the breaker and determine if it is suitable for backfeeding.
All breakers are suitable for backfeeding unless the terminals on the breaker are marked line and load.
Don

I think I said that in so many words!

tacomafc, did you install a breaker retaining clip that holds the breaker in the panel? That may be why the inspector red tagged.

jjoejones

Back-fed breakers on PV system interconnection point

Back-fed breakers on PV system interconnection point

The Code requires all "back-fed"circuit breakers that are 'field-installed ' and of the 'plug-on' variety to be "secured in place". NEC (2002) 408.16(F)

Some inspectors will overlook this requirement on a grid interactive photovoltaic system. The judgement being if the breaker should become detached from the panelboard buss-bar the inverter will shut-down within 2 seconds thereby deenergizing the inverter's AC output removing any risk.

The breaker would have to be attached on a Stand-alone PV system.

Status
Not open for further replies.