Solar question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspectorcliff

690.64 (B)(2); Can I have a 200 amp panel fed with a 150 amp conductors, 150 amp OCD, from the Power Company, and have my Photovoltaic system feed the buss with a 60 amp OCD?

I don't think so!
Thanks.;)

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I think you may be reading that wrong.

"....Supplying power to the busbar..."

The exception says that you can go up to 120%.

After looking into it some more you are correct:

100 amp main = 20 amp PV
200 amp main = 40 amp PV

so I'm thinking that 150 amp main = 30 amp PV

That's without doing the math of course.

Inspectorcliff

cowboyjwc said:
I'm not sure that I understand the question, but I think you may be reading that wrong.

"....Supplying power to the busbar..."

The exception says that you can go up to 120%.

After looking into it some more you are correct:

100 amp main = 20 amp PV
200 amp main = 40 amp PV

so I'm thinking that 150 amp main = 30 amp PV

That's without doing the math of course.
The output of a photovoltaic power source shall be connected as specified in 690.64 (A) or 690.64(B). Since this job is being connected to the Load side and it is a dwelling, SO, we have a 200 amp panel feed with 150 amp conductors and OCD,(from the Utilities) we now also fed the panel with a 60 amp OCD from the PV system, We have 210 amps of feed to the panel, we can load it to 240 amps if it is a dwelling. AS per the excep. I think. So we are in compliance. BUT, if it is not a dwelling then we have slipped into a violation as per 690.64 (B)???? HELP

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Sorry, for some reason I just assumed that it was a residential with that size panel.

Yes you are correct that if it were a commercial building you would be noncompliant.

For commercial it is Main breaker + PV breaker = rating of load center. So basically for Non-Dwelling: Increase load center and use smaller main breaker.

Status
Not open for further replies.