Solar questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kid_stevens

I am being told by a Solar contractor that is not an electrician that the DC cables must be run in "EMT or LFMC because it is DC"

Is this true?

New Mexico has no Solar codes and my NEC is in a gang box at a job that we won't get back to for 3 days. So I hope someone can shed some light

i am being told by a solar contractor that is not an electrician that the dc cables must be run in "emt or lfmc because it is dc"

is this true?

New mexico has no solar codes and my nec is in a gang box at a job that we won't get back to for 3 days. So i hope someone can shed some light
no ! 690-31

kid_stevens

Outside over the edge of the building to the inverter. We are in the land of flat roofs and almost all houses have the thin ends pointing east and west for heat reduction. Great for solar design oh and the most roof leaks of any state.

All new construction here must have
"D. Energy efficiency requirements.
(1) On new construction in one and two family dwelling units, a listed, non-flexible 11/4 inch
electrical raceway shall be installed during rough-in from an accessible location in the garage or designated solar
photovoltaic equipment location to the roof for photovoltaic wiring. The conduit shall be sealed with a listed fitting
or box at each end.
"

e57

[QUOTE='05]
690.31(E)​
Direct-Current Photovoltaic Source and Output Circuits Inside a Building.
Where direct current photovoltaic source or output circuits of a utility-interactive inverter from a building-integrated or other photovoltaic system are run inside a building or structure, they shall be contained in metallic raceways or metal enclosures from the point of penetration of the surface of the building or structure to the first readily accessible disconnecting means. The disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A) through 690.14(D).

[/QUOTE]A change in the '08

e57

Outside over the edge of the building to the inverter. We are in the land of flat roofs and almost all houses have the thin ends pointing east and west for heat reduction. Great for solar design oh and the most roof leaks of any state.

All new construction here must have
"D. Energy efficiency requirements.
(1) On new construction in one and two family dwelling units, a listed, non-flexible 11/4 inch
electrical raceway shall be installed during rough-in from an accessible location in the garage or designated solar
photovoltaic equipment location to the roof for photovoltaic wiring. The conduit shall be sealed with a listed fitting
or box at each end.
"
So is this for future or are they mandating you put solar on every new house?!?!? But yeah - it looks like if in the building - it should be a metallic raceway.... I assume retrofit exterior conduit could be PVC if allowed by local codes...

Anyway - you might want to check out the other thead on solar right now...

kid_stevens

We have to put the metallic conduit indoors for new construction. For retrofits most places go into the garage or back yard from the PV.

That started in 2008 here. the same year swamp coolers no longer can be installed on new construction. That caused a removal change. No conduit from inside to roof for control of swamp cooler.

BillK-AZ

You need to check the temperature rating of the Conduit

You need to check the temperature rating of the Conduit

You need to check the temperature rating of the Conduit, and then use the appropriate column in Art 310.16 in selecting the wire gauge. For 90?C wire in most PVC you have to use the 75?C column.

Status
Not open for further replies.