Solar to Subpanel and EV charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

ESolar

Occupation
Electrician/Contractor
I am running 35 amps of solar to a 125 amp subpanel with a 45 OCPD for the solar. The subpanel has no main breaker. It is wired with 35ft of #2 Aluminum to the main. The 200 amp Main Panel has a 70 OCPD for the subpanel.

1. Do I need a main breaker in the subpanel? (I put a 100 amp breaker in the plans, and I purchased it, but I cant remember why - it seems that I don't need it)
2. I was going to de-rate the main panel breaker to 150 amps. Is there an alternative to de-rating that breaker?
3. I am going to add a high amp EV line to either the subpanel or the main panel. The subpanel has four 20 amp, seven 15 amp and one 45 amp solar source OCPDs. Can I add two 30 amp lines to the subpanel for EV continuous load chargers?

Does anybody see any issues in general here?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does anybody see any issues in general here?
Yes. I see one issue. You are an engineer and are asking questions about a project you intend to install at your own home. I have said this once before, and I'll not say it again. Engineers are forbidden to ask DIY questions on this forum. Do it again, and you will be banned.

I am closing this thread, in accordance with forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.