solar water pumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The newest approved 2008 nec code book states that all 110 volt and 230 volt swimming pool pumps must be GFI protected, what do I do about 90 volts DC?
Good question however, the code requires only 125V or 240V pumps to have gfci protection. I would say the 90V DC does not req. gfci.

That being said I might feel uncomfortable with that install.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Doc, welcome to the forum! :)

Where is the AC converted to DC? Maybe the AC supply should still be GFCI'ed.

BillK-AZ

DC ground fault?

DC ground fault?

There is no listed equipment for this, but there are components that are used in PV systems for a related ground fault detection.

Xantrex (now a division of Schneider, once known as Trace) used to sell a ground fault detector for solar electric systems that consisted of a custom assembly of one 1-amp and 1 to 4? higher current circuit breakers with a common trip. The DC side of the inverter/charge controller/batteries/array was isolated from ground except for a connection through the 1-amp breaker. If a ground fault developed anywhere in the system, the 1-amp breaker would provide the return path for the fault current and trip if it exceeded 1-amp. This would trip the larger breakers and shut down the system. This is not sensitive enough to protect people from the shock hazard, only intended to prevent other safety problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.