Solid Alum wire (#8?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jwelectric

Re: Solid Alum wire (#8?)

310.3 Stranded Conductors.
Where installed in raceways, conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Notice that this section referrs to raceways and not a cable. The wording is the same all the way back to 1975.
:)

Edited for spelling

[ September 26, 2005, 11:49 AM: Message edited by: jwelectric ]

LarryDW

May be a little dense (probably because I am not a sparky) but should I assume from your comment that solid aluminum conductors in either #8 or 6 should not be used in 40amp circuits?
Thnks again

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

As I understand, there are three applicable rules.
</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Table 310.16 says that for an aluminum wire to carry 40 amps, it must be at least a #8.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Second, you can't get a #6 solid AL wire. 310.14 says that #6 and larger shall be stranded.</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"></font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Third, 310.3 says you can't use a solid #8 if the wire is run in conduit (or other raceway).</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So the question comes back to you. Does the installation you are describing use conduit or other raceway? If so, then the wire must be stranded. If not, then a #8 could be solid, but a #6 has to be stranded.

Does this answer your question?

LarryDW

No raceway or conduit. Yes that answers my question. Just don't like to see solid aluminum wiring in a panel especially an older panel since it has a tendency to loosen over time.
Thnks for the great responses.
LarryDW

Status
Not open for further replies.