Solid or Stranded Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgwyn88

I am relatively new to the Fire Alarm System Design but I have been doing some reading and product learning. I have noticed that most Fire Alarm Cable that is FPLP rated is solid conductor with the outside jacket being red. One of the requirements on the project that I am working on is that all cable be stranded. My question is if it meets the NEC code to use a CMP rated stranded cable with the same electrical specifications? Any help would be appreciated and if more information is needed let me know.

orgonfire

Fire alarm circuit conductors utilized in a fire alarm system are always supervised for grounded, shorted, and open circuits. Unfortunately, circuit conductors are not supervised for its properties, such as wire size. In the case of stranded wire versus solid, the stranded wire can be reduced in 'size' depending on how many strands are broken, thereby compromising the circuit conductors integrity for its rated use.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
In the older codes there was a rule that said stranded fire alarm system conductors had to have 7 or less strands. That rule is no longer in the NEC.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.