Solid rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

difowler1

I am doing a metal detached garage in texas. They havent poured the foundation yet. I installed a concrete encased ground. I planned to install a ground rod also, but the whole area around the garage is solid rock beneath about 4 inches of soil. Any solutions that dont involve a Jack hammer?

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
As stated before the UFER is a good ground. With an UFER you do not need an additional electrode.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree the CEE in the footing is all that you'll need. Trying to install ground rods under those circumstances would be a waste of time and money.

USACE_Nash

I don't think you need one, but if you really want an additional electrode, I have used ground plates in a situation like this before. Our application had a number of large concrete monoliths poured directly onto bedrock, and with the entire area around them excavated we were having issues getting rods in. We went with ground plates under the concrete that was poured adjacent to the monoliths, that was used to level the surrounding area. A form 4" larger then the plate was built and thin layer of ground enhancing material was poured to provide a level surface. After the plate was placed a few more inches of GEM was added and then the final concrete went over that. You may be able to do something similar in the 4" of topsoil adjacent to the building and end up with an inch or so of soil so the concrete isn't exposed.

But I agree that it is probably not necessary with what you have already called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.