solid state ballast

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

Does it matter if you hook up the hot and neutral reversed on a solid state ballast? Would it effect life of an LED lampV

hurk27

Does it matter if you hook up the hot and neutral reversed on a solid state ballast? Would it effect life of an LED lampV

other then probably being an NEC violation, I'm not sure, wouldn't think there is any reference to ground with them, unlike a florescent ballast which does references ground for the purpose of the lamps, there for a while some fixtures that didn't require Polarization would have just two black wires, like T-3 quartz fixtures, but now I see these fixtures with one white and one black?

laketime

the issue was with LED track heads. there was no clear way they fit in the track. one of the guys running the job said that if we put them in backwards it would shorten the life of the LED.

hurk27

the issue was with LED track heads. there was no clear way they fit in the track. one of the guys running the job said that if we put them in backwards it would shorten the life of the LED.

depends upon where the voltage is changed from AC to DC, LEDs are a DC device and if reversed polarity would burn up if reversed, but if the change over is in the track head, I see no problem as AC is non polarized, but if the track system has a grounding rail, then it would be a problem as the head would not be grounded, I have never installed any as of yet so I have no idea on how there built?

Electric-Light

There are a few ballasts rated 277v to 480v, which is designed to have either input leg floating 277v above case.

The more common 120 to 277 or 277 to 347v ballasts are not designed to have the white lead more than a few volts over the ground/case and you may compromise reliability.

If it's a programmed rapid start, it may also cause the lamps to have excessive glow current or premature ignition causing less cycle life from lamps compared to proper installation.

Electric-Light

So they don't like 240v?

It will be fine on British 415Y/240 when it is connected neutral to leg.
Reliability maybe compromised if it is connected between poles on split phase 240/120 or between phases on 208Y/120 with both leads being 120v above ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.