Solve this equation!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MD Automation

Occupation
Engineer
The answer is 42.

Ha ha - assuming that's a Hitchiker's Guide joke - then yes that's correct. And Don't Panic.

Aluminum wire + homeowner replacing devices =

Another answer might be...
Aluminum wire + homeowner replacing devices = 2 (sad faced receptacles)

At the risk of anthropomorphizing a duplex outlet - the top one looks like it is shedding a tiny tear for his brother below. The brother on the bottom looks like Ralph from "A Christmas Story", who has naturally shot his eye out with a Red Ryder BB Gun. Just like his Mom knew he would.

Looks like a backsplash on the bottom? Maybe a kitchen counter with a toaster or coffee maker pulling a good sized load across that jumper on the "hot" side (that's a bad joke). Like an awful smelling slow cooker. Not what I want for dinner!

robertd

Occupation
electrical contractor
And the important part, is the receptacle not Al rated? I think the Al rating is being dropped from some receptacles and switches.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
First, the upper black insulated conductor appears to be copper, not aluminum. Is there copper-plated aluminum out there? Second, did they snip the tab between the receptacles and put them on different circuits? I can't tell from this picture. Or is this just the easy way to daisy chain multiple receptacles?

Bluegrass Boy

Occupation
Commercial/ Industrial/ Maintenance Electrician
Yes.

This was in the kitchen, and there was a whole herd of appliances on the counter. Microwave, coffee maker, toaster,.....
I have seen similar before, but not burned as bad as this one. Too much load on the receptacle.
I have always made joints and pig tailed to the receptacle because of this, so it is not daisy chained.
I have seen several GFCI”s in kitchens that were overheating and melting from downstream loads.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have seen similar before, but not burned as bad as this one. Too much load on the receptacle.
I have always made joints and pig tailed to the receptacle because of this, so it is not daisy chained.
I have seen several GFCI”s in kitchens that were overheating and melting from downstream loads.
I am inclined to think improper torque had more to do with it than the downstream loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.