Solving for voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

CONDUIT

It has been a long time since I messed with these types of equations. If these are in series is there a simple formula for calculating the applied voltage.

R = 50 XC = 20 XL = 10

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Knowing the complex impedance in terms of R, L, and C (ohms, Henrys and Farads) will let you figure out the applied voltage if you know the current and frequency or the current knowing applied voltage and frequency.
Since you are given XL and XC, you do not need the frequency.
But you still cannot calculate the voltage knowing just the impedance.

Last edited:

Jljohnson

If you are asking how to solve for the voltage drop across each portion of the series circuit ( IE the drop across R, across XL, or across XC) AND you know the applied voltage then you must solve for total circuit impedance first
total circuit impedance (Z)=Square root of R squared + (XL-XC) squared. Once you have that, you can solve for circuit current using ohm's law E/R(Z in this case)= I.
Once circuit current is known, you can solve for the individual voltage drops using ohm's law again (I x R( or XL or XC) = E)

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
One thing you need to keep in mind if you try to check your results is that the sum of the magnitudes of the three component voltages will not equal the applied voltage. The vector sum will add up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.