Some questions regarding duct detector remote test stations, reset switch, and NFPA requirements..

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsannich

New User
As the title says, I have some questions about the fire alarm side of duct smoke detectors. I could really use some clarifications on a couple things, so if anyone is able to help, I would really appreciate it.

First, in practice, is there a difference between a "remote test station" and a "reset switch"? I know that there is a difference - but are these devices typically combined into a single device? When will/won't they be combined?

Regarding the operation:

My understanding is that a remote test station is used to test a duct smoke detector without a) smoking it or b) using, say, a magnet on it. You're not testing the operation of the duct detector, but you are testing the response of the fire alarm system to a simulated duct detector activation. Do you agree with that?

My understanding is that a reset switch is used to reset (or "clear") a duct a detector after it has been activated.

Where are these required? My interpretation of NFPA 72-23.8.5.4.6.4 is that a reset switch is required when the duct detector is not resettable from the FACP. Is it sometimes the case that a duct detector is NOT resettable from the FACP? Under what circumstances will this be the case?

And, finally, when is a remote test station required? I usually only see them when a duct detector is above a ceiling, but I don't see them 100% of the time. I'm wondering when they are required by code.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
All good questions, but I'm as confused as you are. I've typically been specifying them for detectors that are hard to get to, like if its installed in a rooftop unit, or somewhere where an 8' ladder wouldn't reach.

But now you have me wondering - since all the fire alarm panels are usually addressable now (at least that's what I usually spec), why can't they do all that from the FACP.

Status
Not open for further replies.