Some thoughts on going from manual to digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeasure

Hello everyone,

This is Adam once again.

Firstly with a major break upon us I'd like to wish everyone a very happy festive season and an even better 2017.

I wanted to share some brief thoughts on what is involved with moving from something you do manually to something that is digital instead.

Regardless of what role this digital system is intended to play there is some good housekeeping you can follow to ensure you consider all your options.

A digital or paperless solution means no paper handling and easier file storage and retrieval, and working electronically makes it easier to keep up to date with the latest issues. An accurate digital system can dramatically reduce working time and allows you to work anywhere that you can take a laptop.

The next big consideration is cost. Cost is always important to take into consideration. Some systems can be expensive and require you to buy outright- making a huge dent in your budget. It can take a while to see any sort of ROI in these cases. Make sure you’re not spending money on features you don’t need! Higher cost doesn’t necessarily mean higher benefits for you if you won’t be using the features. Rental systems are always a bonus too- ensuring that you’re only going to have to use it when you need it! A slow month means no payments and more in your pocket.

So what’s the best way to check what’s right for you? Simple- test it out. Most systems offer free trials, so if you’re serious about getting something that works for you, check out the free trial first- and of course, make sure you actually use it!

Something equally as important is to make sure you don’t get fooled by hidden costs. Some systems can charge you for new upgrades, support or training; all necessary to actually use the program. Make sure your system has comprehensive training materials available and that you’re aware of the potential costs.

If you've read this far then I thank you and once again wish you a very happy festive season.

Here is to 2017

macmikeman

Hello everyone,

This is Adam once again.

Firstly with a major break upon us I'd like to wish everyone a very happy festive season and an even better 2017.

I wanted to share some brief thoughts on what is involved with moving from something you do manually to something that is digital instead.

Regardless of what role this digital system is intended to play there is some good housekeeping you can follow to ensure you consider all your options.

A digital or paperless solution means no paper handling and easier file storage and retrieval, and working electronically makes it easier to keep up to date with the latest issues. An accurate digital system can dramatically reduce working time and allows you to work anywhere that you can take a laptop.

The next big consideration is cost. Cost is always important to take into consideration. Some systems can be expensive and require you to buy outright- making a huge dent in your budget. It can take a while to see any sort of ROI in these cases. Make sure you’re not spending money on features you don’t need! Higher cost doesn’t necessarily mean higher benefits for you if you won’t be using the features. Rental systems are always a bonus too- ensuring that you’re only going to have to use it when you need it! A slow month means no payments and more in your pocket.

So what’s the best way to check what’s right for you? Simple- test it out. Most systems offer free trials, so if you’re serious about getting something that works for you, check out the free trial first- and of course, make sure you actually use it!

Something equally as important is to make sure you don’t get fooled by hidden costs. Some systems can charge you for new upgrades, support or training; all necessary to actually use the program. Make sure your system has comprehensive training materials available and that you’re aware of the potential costs.

If you've read this far then I thank you and once again wish you a very happy festive season.

Here is to 2017

.99 cents at the Apple Store. That is what it comes down to Adam. 99 cents at the Apple Store.

Besoeker

Hello everyone,

This is Adam once again.

Here is to 2017
Yuletide felicitations reciprocated.

The paperless office was a nice idea but has been no more than a pipe dream.

chris1971

I agree paperless is the way to go. However, it appears that lots of paper is still passing over my desk. Will we ever truly be paperless? Maybe one day when my brother loses his job at the paper mill then, we will truly be a paperless society.

Besoeker

I agree paperless is the way to go. However, it appears that lots of paper is still passing over my desk. Will we ever truly be paperless? Maybe one day when my brother loses his job at the paper mill then, we will truly be a paperless society.

Unlikely in the short term in my opinion.
We have more printers than ever before.

I don't know what grade of paper your brother's mill produces. Newsprint is rapidly declining - who needs a newspaper when all the information and disinformation is on line.
Who writes letters these days?

But offices churn the stuff out by the ream.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

I don't know what grade of paper your brother's mill produces.
Newsprint is rapidly declining - who needs a newspaper when
all the information and disinformation is on line.

i print a LOT of paper, doing lighting certifications.
it could be, and is, paperless, but almost every building
inspector requires hard copy, and a wet ink signature.
so, i do them in triplicate. one for the inspector, one
for the contractor, one for the building tenant or owner.

the irony is, the people mandating conservation, are the
ones who waste the most paper. the various levels of government.

cut down another tree for me, it seems i'm going to be busy
the next couple weeks. sitting at home, pre printing everything
i can for the next couple weeks, and taking care of the backlog
of stuff that has to get fedexed to people for job signoffs next week.

it'll be a 3+ ream day. honest and no lie. i just replaced the drum
in my laser printer. 26,790 pages in 12 months. i wore the printer
before it out in less that a year.

macmikeman

Paperless everything= wiped clean at the whim of a hacker or at the behest of some bad guy in a high up position someplace official. Laugh, but the history is real, it has been done already.

Besoeker

Paperless everything= wiped clean at the whim of a hacker or at the behest of some bad guy in a high up position someplace official. Laugh, but the history is real, it has been done already.
Back up your files. I use DVDs but there are other options.

Besoeker

i print a LOT of paper, doing lighting certifications.
it could be, and is, paperless, but almost every building
inspector requires hard copy, and a wet ink signature.
so, i do them in triplicate. one for the inspector, one
for the contractor, one for the building tenant or owner.

the irony is, the people mandating conservation, are the
ones who waste the most paper. the various levels of government.

cut down another tree for me, it seems i'm going to be busy
the next couple weeks. sitting at home, pre printing everything
i can for the next couple weeks, and taking care of the backlog
of stuff that has to get fedexed to people for job signoffs next week.

it'll be a 3+ ream day. honest and no lie. i just replaced the drum
in my laser printer. 26,790 pages in 12 months. i wore the printer
before it out in less that a year.
Totally agree.
When I started work (before the Dead Sea reported in sick) nobody had a PC, printer or much else beyond a log-log slide rule.
We had no means of churning out great wodges of paper.
Now we do because we can - whether justified or otherwise.

And auditors do like a paper trail........

kwired

Electron manager

I don't know what grade of paper your brother's mill produces. Newsprint is rapidly declining - who needs a newspaper when all the information and disinformation is on line.

Refinanced my mortgage about a year ago, still used about an acre of trees for the paperwork, don't know why most of that couldn't have been done electronically.

Back up your files. I use DVDs but there are other options.
Seems backup with electronic media would be much more cost effective then back up of printed records, and as well as much easier to do at more frequent intervals.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Anybody remember who D'nesh D'souza is? He spoke about his bank account suddenly was empty and his credit cards cancelled. Digital wonderment.
i wasn't familiar with the name, so i googled it.
he's got a nice wikipedia page.. i'm guessing his wife, upon
finding out he was engaged with another woman, while still cohabiting
with her, may have simply been securing assets for the divorce.

no digital wonderment. just a pathological liar who got caught.
couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Fnewman

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Engineering Manager at Larson Engineering
By now, most newsprint mills are gone or have been converted to other grades, where possible, such as brown packaging. That is a growing segment due to the rise of Amazon, etc.

Besoeker

By now, most newsprint mills are gone or have been converted to other grades, where possible, such as brown packaging. That is a growing segment due to the rise of Amazon, etc.
Newish guy..........so welcome in case I missed it.
On your point about the decline in the market for newsprint:

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kent-business/county-news/aylesford-newsprint-the-real-story-34230/

A major blow but one of the very many mills in UK that have closed.
On the brighter side one re-opened after about five years of closure.
It had been making Kraft paper for many years.
One of the machines was converted to washroom tissue. Now, they can't make enough of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.