Something for the experienced guys to share

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Night65 said:
what is a proper way of doing a load calc on a house, and commercial building/store.

'A' proper way is to totally digest all of the caculations and factors for all of the different situations on to a spread-sheet that you can just plug the numbers into, there are numbers of them out there that people have done - I believe there is a free resi one on this site somewhere... And a many of us have made resi, and commercial ones as well ourselves. Try making one - a good way to learn....

Night65

i've done load calc's before i just wanted to see if anybody had a different way or faster way then me. Thanks guys

haskindm

If you are doing a load calculation for a job, you may use one of the many spreadsheets or worksheets that are available. I like the worksheets that Charles Miller provides in his book "Illustrated Guide to The National Electric Code" published by Thomson/Delmar. Mike Holt also has a residential Load Calculation spreadsheet under "Free Stuff" on this site. He also has several books/videos for sale dealing with calculations. If you are studying calculations for your exam you need to understand one thing - THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS! You will need to follow the steps in Article 220 for whichever method you are using. You cannot skip any steps. You will need to study Article 220 extensively, along with the examples in Chapter 9 of the NEC. It is not easy, but it is also not impossible, and it will take study and effort on your part.
Good Luck.

nyerinfl

Night65 said:
i've done load calc's before i just wanted to see if anybody had a different way or faster way then me. Thanks guys

The thing is there are a lot of different calculations. You can't just generalize a house or a commercial space. A lot of different scenarios come in to play, you need to be more specific on what type of calculation you are looking for, as well as standard or optional method. Maybe if you wrote out your example people here would critique it for you.

e57

nyerinfl said:
The thing is there are a lot of different calculations. You can't just generalize a house or a commercial space. A lot of different scenarios come in to play, you need to be more specific on what type of calculation you are looking for, as well as standard or optional method. Maybe if you wrote out your example people here would critique it for you.

Beleive it or not you can get quite detailed depending on how much space on a spread sheet you wanna take up, and they can be quite intuitive. mine knowns if heating is larger than air conditioning... Optional calc's at the same time. And oh yeas people here would nearly de-bug it for you and run it through its paces. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.