Son's Science Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilsElec

My 12 year old son expressed an interest in static electricity as a topic for his science project this year. He wants to determine which materials produce the greatest static charge. Being an electrical engineer and contractor, he, of course, asked his dad for help. The problem is obvious - how does one measure the size of a static charge? What type of measuring device exists, if any? I have been in this industry for 28 years, and I have to admit, I never thought about this. Any ideas?

480sparky

By size, do you mean the physical dimensions of the arc? I'd think a simple camera, along with some math, should do the trick.

PhilsElec

Son's Science Project

Good suggestion, I didn't think about a visual depiction of the size of the arc. I guess my mathematical brain was thinking along the lines of somehow measuring the amount of energy contained in the arc, thereby allowing a means of recording energy vs. material which produced the charge. This would certainly provide a direct correlation between each material and the "spark" it produces under controlled conditions. Perhaps a high speed picture would allow a means to indirectly document the size of each respective material's energy.

jghrist

I'd try a DMM connected to a metal plate. If you get the plate close to the charged object, but not close enough to draw an arc, you might be able to measure a voltage to ground. Problem would be to get a consistent area and gap when measuring different materials.

mdshunk

There is a device to measure static. I've seen it used in a large printshop. Apparently, static wreaks havoc on the printing process. The device was about the size of your hand and didn't look complicated or expensive.

Durnit... I went to see if I could Google up a pic, and I found the exact one they use in their printshop:

meter.jpg

Last edited:

dbuckley

Several centuries before Electrostatics Inc started up shop making that cute meter, scientists of the day used an Electrometer to detect and measure static charge, and thats what I used at school a few decades ago. Perhaps the school still has one?

76nemo

The main ingredient in laser printing IS static electricity.

This is some info. from the 3M sensor we use at work:

3mstaticsensor718

A little pricey for a school project:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.