Sorry if questions seems elementry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stickboy1375

tonyou812 said:
Can anyone tell me why some meter cans have a bypass handle in them? When would some one use this?

Required by POCO in Connecticut, the reason being is it lets the POCO change out the meter without disturbing power to the residence... A lot of people with home offices these days...

This of course is just my opinion.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
southern co. is the only here that uses them, and that's what they call their "commercial" meter base. lets them pull meters w/o shutting the whole building down or having to pull it under a load. they only go up to a 400A though; anything above is CT metered.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When the handle is up, or in the bypass position, it also releases the jaw contact pressure.

peter d

stickboy1375 said:
Required by POCO in Connecticut, the reason being is it lets the POCO change out the meter without disturbing power to the residence...

The other big reason is that it's safer for the meter crews to replace meters. No need to pull meters under load if they can't access the main breaker.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have only seen the bypass on a 400 amp (320) meter base. I have never installed a 200 amp base single phase with this feature

480sparky

Dennis Alwon said:
I have only seen the bypass on a 400 amp (320) meter base. I have never installed a 200 amp base single phase with this feature

My local POCO requires either a horn or lever bypass for 200a. 400a requires a lever.

cschmid

Here the bypass is on meter bases in the 3 to 4 hundred amp areas and it is for the safty of the POCO workers and meters..it is used to remove the meter under loads for servicing meters..

C3PO

One poco around here requires a lever bypass on 200A meterbase. Another one requires a horn bypass. And a third poco does not require a bypass.

petey_c

I figured that it was so the POCO could change out the meter without disturbing power if they found out the meter wasn't running fast enough.

benaround

Not disturbing the power is not a concern to the POCO, they have had

bypass metersockets long before computers were out. Safety for the POCO

person removing the meter under load is the reason for bypass.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Meter bases with bypasses are installed over here for all businesses. The reason I'm told is that if the meter is ever stolen they will still have power available. I don't know why someone would steal a meter though, unless maybe there's copper in 'em?:rolleyes:

iwire

Staff member
Here it is not about safety, it is all about uninterrupted service to commercial customers.

Residential services in this area do not get bypass sockets, commercial services do.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
quogueelectric said:
So you dont have to disrupt power to pull the meter and the meter doesnt come out under load.
That's true enough, but keep in mind that, since the bypasses are not designed to interrupt current either, removing the meter merely "forces" the customer to accept free power.

In other words, the bypass does nothing for the POCO that wants to pull a meter for non-paying customers. Bypass or not, the main must still be thrown for a safe disconnect.

480sparky

LarryFine said:
That's true enough, but keep in mind that, since the bypasses are not designed to interrupt current either, removing the meter merely "forces" the customer to accept free power.

In other words, the bypass does nothing for the POCO that wants to pull a meter for non-paying customers. Bypass or not, the main must still be thrown for a safe disconnect.

True. Read the label for a lever bypass, and it will state it is not to be used as a disconnecting means.

It's there for the POCO who needs to pull the meter for some reason. Maybe to test the meter for accuracy. Maybe to replace it because it's broken. Maybe to replace it with one that can be read remotely.

One thing's for sure, if the POCO does pull the meter, it won't be for long. As soon as the bypass lever gets pushed up, the meter stops spinning. And a meter that ain't spinning ain't making the POCO money.

Status
Not open for further replies.