Source Conduction Theory--- Grounding and Bonding Only Guarantees That An Incipient Event Becomes a Protracted Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I'm going to put this out here into the arena. Protection against electric shock, electrocution and fire do not normally stem from grounding and bonding, but rather a 3rd concept ignored or not yet fully realized or understood: source conduction.

Grounding and Bonding in of themselves do little to protect people and property, if not escalating hazards, where as source conduction is what removes dangerous touch, step and contact potential along with preventing the over heating, fire and explosion of current carry parts along any other paths electricity may take.

While source conduction may have some overlap with grounding and bonding, or that grounding and bonding can secondarily compliment source conduction, source conduction stands as its own pillar with its own characteristics bearing the brunt of what article 250 is wishfully trying to accomplish through a stool missing its 3rd, most dominant leg.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

As I said, not fully realized.

But to elucidate a bit more on the subject grounding and bonding does not remove dangerous voltage. Only denergization of the fault removes voltage with time dictating safe vs dangerous.

If I may- regarding voltage and time-

1619215130457.png

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think we need a new Forum room for "z" discussions...
speaking for myself, so far it's been "zzzzzzzzzzz"
zzzz.png

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Z is nothing more than R in ohms law (y)

If this is to easy, I can get into the more complex details, but I want to keep it simple (for now) for the everyone's sake.

But with that said every breaker has an ohm value.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The education of comparative ~Z~ , for perspective MBrooke ~RJ~

Well give me any circuit breaker. Give me your voltage.

That tells me when the breaker needs to open.

Find the time/current crossing on the time current curve plot.

Take that current, then use it to divide your line to neutral voltage to give Z.

That Z is your maximum source conduction value.

Status
Not open for further replies.