South Carolina Electrical contractors exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

gwt

Preparing to take the SC.Contractors test after the New year. Has anyone out there taken the test in the past?

kwired

Electron manager
Preparing to take the SC.Contractors test after the New year. Has anyone out there taken the test in the past?

Well if nobody took it there would be no contractors in SC now would there?;)

Maybe you have more specific question to ask?

gwt

Well if nobody took it there would be no contractors in SC now would there?;)

Maybe you have more specific question to ask?

Good point!:D

I'm new to the MHF.

I've never taken a computerized exam my last test was ten years ago. I've been using MH exam prep materials. Have you taken the exam? If so did you pass?

kwired

Electron manager
Good point!:D

I'm new to the MHF.

I've never taken a computerized exam my last test was ten years ago. I've been using MH exam prep materials. Have you taken the exam? If so did you pass?

Never been to SC. Closest I have been is a stop in Atlanta airport, but that was nearly 30 years ago.

DG Marathon

Restating one and adding another question.

Restating one and adding another question.

This thread seemed to go nowhere and the question was never properly addressed. Since I am preparing to take the SC Contractors exam also, I'd like to see if some more input can be given. I have two questions to get us started: First, has anyone on this forum taken the SC Contractors exam recently and can offer some insight? Second, SC is currently using the 2008 NEC, they will change over to the 2011 in July, 2013. I've been using the 2008 materials to study. Would I be better served to study the 2011 and wait until July to take the exam?

Thank you,

David

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well it seems there isn't anyone around from SC so perhaps that is why no answers are given. The questions being ask are specific to South Carolina but IMO if you are studying the Mike Holt guides you should be okay.

In terms of whether to study the 2011 and take that exam that would be up to you. Since you have been working on the 2008 I would probably go for that exam and then catch up on the changes for the 2011 when you guys move over to that.

kwired

Electron manager
Well it seems there isn't anyone around from SC so perhaps that is why no answers are given. The questions being ask are specific to South Carolina but IMO if you are studying the Mike Holt guides you should be okay.

In terms of whether to study the 2011 and take that exam that would be up to you. Since you have been working on the 2008 I would probably go for that exam and then catch up on the changes for the 2011 when you guys move over to that.

That is what I would probably do also, take the exam while it is still based on 2008 - especially if that is what I have been studying on. If you would happen to fail then depending on when you may retry you may be using 2011 but you have to go in with confidence that you will not be retaking.

There is also a good chance that majority of questions will not be impacted much by which edition of NEC is in use.

I would guess they would hit journeymen harder with questions on GFCI, AFCI, box fill, raceway installation questions, and maybe hit contractors harder with load calculations, questions on services and feeders, maybe hit them with some chapter 5 or 6 applications. Both J-man and EC could have a question on anything in the code but I think they will focus more on certain areas for each group, after all if you are taking the contractor exam you most likely already have taken the J-man exam and already was hit harder in the typical J-man questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.