Southwire's THHN is not also THWN-2 except for certain varieties

Occupation
Rental property maintenance
A caution:

Several retailers list Southwire's regular THHN product as THWN-2 (Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon). However, in common sizes like 10-14 AWG, it's *not* THWN-2.

Southwire's web page about their THHN says it's just THWN for 10-14 AWG, and THWN-2 only if:

(1) 8 AWG or larger, or
(2) 10-14 AWG in SIMpull BARREL and SIMpull CoilPAK flavors.

Southwire doesn't help matters because later on the same page, it says: "THWN-2: Wet or dry locations not to exceed 90°C", without the disclaimer. If you were skimming the website and that's all you saw, you'd think their regular #10-14 THHN is also THWN-2, but it's not.

In the case of Lowe's and Home Depot, they're using generic descriptions that describe an entire product line, not the particular product that you're looking at, although of course that's absolutely not obvious to the reader. "Southwire's type THHN or THWN-2 conductors are primarily used in conduit and cable trays..." This is probably Southwire's fault, providing generic descriptions to the retailers.

In the case of Amazon, it's worse, the title of the product says it's THWN-2 "Southwire 22973237 Simpull Thhn or Thwn-2 Standard Wire, 10 Gauge, 100' per Roll, Black".

I ordered that roll from Amazon, but the package says 22973284, not 22973237. I couldn't find the 22973284 product number anywhere (including on Southwire's website), but neither the product label nor the product wire jacket says THWN-2. So, looking up THHN on Southwire's website I found that Southwire's #10 THHN is usually not also THWN-2.

Southwire could make this clearer by putting on the product label "Not rated as THWN-2" (and even on the jacket, "NOT THWN-2"). Yeah, I know it's common for manufacturers to list what something *is* rather than what it *isn't*, but I've sure seen lots of products that say something like "Not suitable for XXX". That's entirely appropriate here.

Did you know about this non-THWN-2 issue with Southwire or did you not know?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Just curious what difference does it make in your application THWN vs THWN-2 ?
For 10AWG your usually limited by 240.4(D) to 30A but I guess you get an extra 5 amps for derating with THWN-2.
Or perhaps its an issue with lighting where it says the conductors have to be rated 90C ?

Occupation
@tortuga, it's not just the extra 5A, it's that the derating factor is only 0.58 for THWN at 132-140°F, but a more generous 0.71 for THWN-2.

Minimum Current Ampacity via nameplate: 20A

• #10 THWN starts at 35A.
• Reduce to 80% for 5 conductors (conduit also carrying wires for other eqp) > 28A.
• 28A x 0.58A temp. derating > 16.2A

• #10 THWN-2 starts at 40A.
• Reduce to 80% for 5 conductors > 32A.
• 32A x 0.71A temp. derating > 22.7A

Unless I'm missing something. Am I missing something?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Just curious what difference does it make in your application THWN vs THWN-2 ?
For 10AWG your usually limited by 240.4(D) to 30A but I guess you get an extra 5 amps for derating with THWN-2.
Or perhaps its an issue with lighting where it says the conductors have to be rated 90C ?

All conductors marked with a " W " and " -2 " are rated 90C while others are rated 90C for Dry and 75C for wet

Thhw is a good example

1718031339009.png

Occupation
I've bought various brands now, and can confirm what's marked on the jacket:

• Cerrowire: marked THWN-2
• Republic: marked THWN-2
• Alan: marked THWN-2
• Southwire: marked only "THWN" without the -2, which matches what they say on their website

However, *none* of the manufacturers of THWN-2 wire, mark the THWN-2 on the package label itself, which strikes me as ridiculous. You have to open the package to see what's stamped on the wire.

Occupation
Whether a THHN product is also THWN is a separate issue from whether a THHN product is also THWN-2. Probably all THHN wire is also THWN. If there's such a thing as THHN wire that's not THWN, I haven't seen it. However, there is certainly THHN wire that's not THWN-2, namely, various flavors of Southwire.

And as for "Home Depot's" THHN, they sell multiple brands and styles. Some of it is THWN-2, some is just THWN.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Brings to mind the 1st underground 1200 amp service I built. Inspector asked what the service conductors were and, proud that I didn't get caught on the "next size up' rule I proclaimed 350 THHN. He smiled and handed me a red rag :-(
(Turned out was a dual rated and he was giving me a "teaching moment"

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Brings to mind the 1st underground 1200 amp service I built. Inspector asked what the service conductors were and, proud that I didn't get caught on the "next size up' rule I proclaimed 350 THHN. He smiled and handed me a red rag :-(
(Turned out was a dual rated and he was giving me a "teaching moment"
Were you going for the 83% service rule? Even if you paralled 3 x 350 kcmil thats only 930 i ampacity before derating and still below 83% of a 1,200 i service. By red flag you mean the inspector cited you?