Sp Sw for 1 1/2 hp motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

I need to install a single pole switch for a 1 1/2 hp pool motor. (Motor is rated for 15a@120v) Seems most of the 20a sp switches I see are rated for a 1 hp motor so I went to a supply house and was told they didn't stock any and he didn't know of any available. Can I just use a heavy duty 20a sw? Changing the circuit to 240v would be an option but a DP GFCI breaker is expensive so I'd like to avoid that if possible.

raider1

Staff member
Take a look at 430.83(C) for the ratings of general-use snap switches used as motor controllers for stationary motors rated 2 HP or less.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
Is the switch used as a control, disconnecting means or both? There are higher capacity snap switches available, you could also use a circuit breaker, molded case switch, fused or non fused disconnect as combination control and disconnect, or use a light duty switch and contactor for control purposes - you likely still would need a disconnecting means in almost all cases.

Another possibility:

GFCI protect feeder to a small panel and feed all pool related equipment from this panel with non GFCI breakers. You only purchase one GFCI, however troubleshooting the tripping GFCI gets a little harder because one faulty component makes everything shut down.

Have you ever noticed that customers can afford pools and spas but can't afford to hook them up? And are willing to risk their lives by having their friend or relative who is 'good with tools' hook it up for a beer and opportunity to use the pool or spa.

Spend a little more on a good install now or spend more on trouble calls later.

mark32

Thanks for all the responses. I have an idea, a Leviton 30a double pole has a fla rating of 24a and a 2 hp rating at 120v and 240v, which will fit the bill.

Raider, I looked at that article, thanks by the way, but it doesn't look like a 20a sw will make the cut with this motor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Mr. 'Bama's 1p switch is rated at 2HP at 120v. That's the one I'd use.

In my opinion, all dual-voltage motors should be operated at the higher voltage.

Another possibility:

GFCI protect feeder to a small panel and feed all pool related equipment from this panel with non GFCI breakers. You only purchase one GFCI, however troubleshooting the tripping GFCI gets a little harder because one faulty component makes everything shut down.
If an electrician wired my pool equipment that way, I'd be in legal trouble. :cool:

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
As long as we are giving opinions ....

As long as we are giving opinions ....

In my opinion, all dual-voltage motors should be operated at the higher voltage.

In my opinion each job should be designed on it's own merits and not some rule of thumb. :)

KWH wise the voltage is all but irrelevant.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Lower current, along with associated lower voltage drop, heat, etc.

Of course, that was a generalization; and, of course, Bob is correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.