Spa bonding to metal wire "railings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBee

New User
Occupation
Nerd
There's an old thread about this but it's closed, the title was Hot Tub bonding. Dennis Alwon had some great questions, comments, and pictures. Tried to message him directly but couldn't figure out how, so here we are...

I have a similar situation, but thankfully far fewer metal parts. Instead of metal pipes we have heavy gauge metal wires between the 4x4 posts (eyelets at one end, holes through middle posts, eyelets and turnbuckles at the other end). There are 3 horizontal wires, two sides to the rails, so 6 total, unconnected/separate wires.

Electrician has not come up with any attractive ways to connect these for the bonding. We're looking at some ugly grounding lugs and bare copper wire connected to the steel wire "railings." Sounds like for Dennis's pipes he found some pipe clamps and probably just ran the copper wire through those, clamping them to the pipes. I could do something similar at the eyelets at an end, possibly using a pipe clamp narrow enough to connect to the eyelet. Or some kind of grounding lug connected to the wire. Going to look dumb either way, I think. There was mention of hiding it (the wire, I assume) with a piece of wood - did they do that and do you remember how that looked? That's a possibility.

Just trying to be compliant while keeping it looking good so any ideas will be appreciated. Luckily that's the only metal within the the radius in the code. Unluckily the connection seems like it's going to be pretty conspicuous, at least on half of these wires.

Thanks - this forum is great, just discovered it.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
How are you related to the electrical industry? You will need to send me a message, click on my name, start conversation. You should have your electrician ask us questions

Status
Not open for further replies.