Spa installations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninkshaw

Re: Spa installations

:) No I don't have an issue. I was looking for an overview of a typical installation. Still waitng for my NEC code book. Thanks for the rerply :D

danilo

Hi,
just recently,the bulbs inside our sauna got burned out including its wires..the contractor used ordinary incandescent bulb and a THHN wires years ago and it lasted for almost 5 years..i didnt go through much about code provision on this but i just want to know if there's a violation in the original installation..would appreciate suggestions on corrective measures as well.

thanks in advance

Danilo

pierre

Ninkshaw and Danilo
The wiring of hot tubs and spas is really a job for an electrician. The information provided by either of you is not complete, and there are too many details in this type of installation that it would not be fair to you or the people who will use your unit to provide you with the proper installation info here.
Good luck though

jimwalker

Even after you read all of 680 it would be best if you did the first few with someone with some exsperiance in this area.Keep in mind your mixing voltage,people,alcohol,and water.If any mistakes are made they could be deadly.

danilo

Hi Pierre,

thanks for your comment..yeah sorry i forgot to elaborate further the bulb condition..anyway,the bulb and wire circuit im telling you is installed inside the sauna room with a temperature typical for this kind of room. Of course its not an ordinary room with an ambient temp of 30deg or less.its a pretty high temp room!!

to make this story short, after more than 5yrs that this sauna bath been operating,the bulb and its wires got burned for no specific reason. thats why im asking if theres any violation committed by the contractor or designer when they specified to use ordinary incandescent bulb (50w) and thhn cables for this kind of installation.

thanks for your time

Danilo

LawnGuyLandSparky

I doubt the sauna lamp was negatively impacted by the heat of the sauna.

The filament of an incandescent lamp is simply a resistor. If electrical power is applied, it is converted to heat in the filament. The filament's temperature rises until it gets rid of heat at the same rate that heat is being generated in the filament. Ideally, the filament gets rid of heat only by radiating it away, although a small amount of heat energy is also removed from the filament by thermal conduction.

The filament's temperature is very high, generally over 2000 degrees Celsius, or generally over 3600 degrees Fahrenheit. In a "standard" 75 or 100 watt 120 volt bulb, the filament temperature is roughly 2550 degrees Celsius, or roughly 4600 degrees Fahrenheit. At high temperatures like this, the thermal radiation from the filament includes a significant amount of visible light.

ricks

Spa installations

Seems like there is some confusion about burial depth of conduits when running a circuit to a self contained spa. What do you folks think the required cover for schedule 40 nonmetalic pvc is when in a residential back yard under a 3 1/2 inch patio slab and walk way?

Thanks Rick

celtic

ricks said:
Seems like there is some confusion about burial depth of conduits when running a circuit to a self contained spa. What do you folks think the required cover for schedule 40 nonmetalic pvc is when in a residential back yard under a 3 1/2 inch patio slab and walk way?

Thanks Rick

I think it's in T300.5
What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.