Spare Capacity included in Panel Load Calculations

flengineer

I have always included a load for spare capacity in my panel schedules. I have a reviewer that is questioning this practice. Is it not standard practice to show this? I find it makes things easier when additional circuits are inevitably added during construction or at the end of design.

In addition, the county requires 20% of all parking spaces to be EVSE ready (all panels, conduit, wiring, etc. installed - actual electric vehicle charging equipment does not need to be provided). The reviewer is also questioning why I am showing loads for these future EVSE circuits on the panel schedule if there will not be any load on them for the foreseeable future. Since these breakers are designated for these specific loads and are actually wired, I believe the loads should be included. Thoughts?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In addition, the county requires 20% of all parking spaces to be EVSE ready (all panels, conduit, wiring, etc. installed - actual electric vehicle charging equipment does not need to be provided). The reviewer is also questioning why I am showing loads for these future EVSE circuits on the panel schedule if there will not be any load on them for the foreseeable future. Since these breakers are designated for these specific loads and are actually wired, I believe the loads should be included. Thoughts?
That would depend on the nature of the EV-readiness legislation/code that the county is enforcing. Does it require feeder and service capacity for these future EVSE loads to be installed now, and if so at what level?

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Yes, it requires feeder and service capacity to be installed now.
Then it makes sense to me to include it on the load calculation, how else can you verify the feeders and services are large to comply with the EV-readiness requirements? Maybe just notate the future loads with the code or legislative section requiring the feeder and service capacity.

Cheers, Wayne