SPD Type 2 sizing?

ritelec

Hello.

I will be installing a spd in my panel.

The local supply house has type 2 36,000 amp that they give to contractors installing 200 amp services.

Would I do well to install one on my house, or should I consider something higher.

The 36k they have is CH and requires a 15a brk
On line I see 108k CH that says 15a ??

At the supply house they said they had a larger CH that required a 50amp breaker but it was too expensive so they went for the
36k.

Thank you.

ritelec

Ok. Looks like the 36k is the “surge” requiring a 15a brk. And the 108k is the “ultra” requiring a 50a brk.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok. Looks like the 36k is the “surge” requiring a 15a brk. And the 108k is the “ultra” requiring a 50a brk.
Yes for current line of Eaton SPD's that's correct. There is a big difference in cost between the two units. I'm not sure if the Ultra is worth the extra money. I have the Surge unit.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The one I use by PSP Products is rated to 200kA that can be used on as little as 20A-2P breaker.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The size of the breaker is pretty much immaterial, except it basically indicates the size of the leads to the unit. The breaker protection is only to remove a failed unit from service.

Surge performance is impacted by the lead size, lead length, and lead orientation. Keep the leads as large as you can, as short and straight as possible. One of the worst things is to make a 90°bend coming out of the breaker towards the end of the panel.

Do a little research, different areas of the country need different levels of protection. In high lightning areas two levels are probably needed and replaceable components should be considered.