SPDs on the inverter output

Status
Not open for further replies.

pv_n00b

How prevalent is the addition of type 2 SPDs to PV systems on the AC side? Most inverters come with some minimal SPD built in but it's not good for much, I've had them pop on occasion. But I don't see people adding additional SPDs, at least in California. I have seen damaged commercial systems where an SPD would probably have saved it from a utility surge.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
How prevalent is the addition of type 2 SPDs to PV systems on the AC side? Most inverters come with some minimal SPD built in but it's not good for much, I've had them pop on occasion. But I don't see people adding additional SPDs, at least in California. I have seen damaged commercial systems where an SPD would probably have saved it from a utility surge.
Only one AHJ I deal with requires them - Austin Energy.

beanland

To SPD or not to SPD

To SPD or not to SPD

If you look at any map of lightning you will see that the western USA is a very low region, unlike the south. NFPA 780 discusses lightning protection. Bottom line is that you are playing the odds. Where lightning is prevalent, not installing SPD is foolish. Where lightning is uncommon, not installing SPD is a gamble. I have seen SPD installed where they may never be needed; which makes it seem like the designer is just padding the project. It never hurts to add SPD but when do you stop? No SPD will protect equipment from a direct strike. Again, it is all a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.