SPD's

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently upgraded an electrical service from 400 to 800 amps. The inspector had a couple items on his list of why he failed the job; 1. No argument we had installed an under sized EGC, that was a miss communication between the foreman and a helper (shame on us). But the second item #2 he is requiring that we install a surge device on the service. He stated it was a City code? Being in Florida and having adopted the FBC (Florida Building Code) which in turn adopts the NFPA 70 well about every 6 years or so (we just moved into the 2011 code this last January, anyway that's a different can of worms). According to what I understand the NFPA did not accept any changes or additions at the local level. So how do you think a jurisdiction can require more than what is required by the NEC. He did not state a code reference for the issue just stated it was a City code. I have since looked them up on their web-site and it states they use the 2014 FBC and in turn the NEC 2011 but no City codes are listed. What would you do?

City of Pinellas Park

I did the search and it came back "There are no records that match the search criteria." Not being real familiar to the link I tried it several different ways to the same effect.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We recently upgraded an electrical service from 400 to 800 amps. The inspector had a couple items on his list of why he failed the job; 1. No argument we had installed an under sized EGC, that was a miss communication between the foreman and a helper (shame on us). But the second item #2 he is requiring that we install a surge device on the service. He stated it was a City code? Being in Florida and having adopted the FBC (Florida Building Code) which in turn adopts the NFPA 70 well about every 6 years or so (we just moved into the 2011 code this last January, anyway that's a different can of worms). According to what I understand the NFPA did not accept any changes or additions at the local level. So how do you think a jurisdiction can require more than what is required by the NEC. He did not state a code reference for the issue just stated it was a City code. I have since looked them up on their web-site and it states they use the 2014 FBC and in turn the NEC 2011 but no City codes are listed. What would you do?
Local jurisdictions can make any changes they want when the adopt a model code like the NEC. They can require more or even less than what the actual NFPA document requires.

That being said they have to do it in their adopting ordinance and if that is the case he should be able to show you a copy of that.

Note some states adopt the NEC on a state wide basis and do not permit local amendments...not sure if Florida is one of those states.

mgookin

Local jurisdictions can make any changes they want when the adopt a model code like the NEC. They can require more or even less than what the actual NFPA document requires.

That being said they have to do it in their adopting ordinance and if that is the case he should be able to show you a copy of that.

Note some states adopt the NEC on a state wide basis and do not permit local amendments...not sure if Florida is one of those states.

Not in Florida. The state did away with that when we adopted the 2001 Florida Building Code.

To enact a local amendment the jurisdiction has to demonstrate that the amendment is necessary due to their jurisdiction being geographically unique from the rest of the state, and they have to register that amendment with the state. And the amendment only survives until the next code cycle at which time it's either adopted statewide or nixed.

The database OP searched is where it would be registered with the state. It's not there. There is no NEC amendment.

Now that does not mean there's not a NFPA pamphlet which requires a SPD via the Florida Fire Prevention Code (FFPC). The FFPC is a culmination of the Life Safety Code (NFPA 101), the Fire Prevention Code (NFPA 1) and some other stuff all in one real big book. OP can contact the fire marshal's office to question whether a SPD requirement exists in that code.

kwired

Electron manager
If it is a local requirement, there needs to be some legal document somewhere that states this requirement, ask where to get or view an official copy of that document, as well as a reference to the particular portion of it that is in violation.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The Tampa Bay Area (which is where Pinellas Park is located) is known as the "Lightning capital of the world". I was told that in a given year, more lightning strikes there than in the rest of the country combined. Most, if not all, jurisdictions have amendments to add SPDs from what I was told. I never did electrical field work there, but I did some engineering jobs. Everything we worked on required SPDs. A friend of mine is an EE for Teco Energy, the largest PoCo in the area. He told me a few years ago that they spend over $1 million/year repairing transformers damaged by lightning alone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.