Speaker wire usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Thanks Jim for your comments and I agree 100% about accepting cut wire returns. Last week someone returned 50 or 60 feet of 6/3, it looked like it had been pulled through framing then yanked out again for whatever reason. The sheathing was beat up yet we took it back, not sure if it was sold again or not. As far as the guy in question, it's odd to me why he didn't take it (The placement of the wire tells me he didn't even make it out of the store before throwing it aside) as he seemed content on his selection.

He was just to arrogant to concede that a "Home Depot" employee may actually know more then him. :D:D:D I should add a good friend of mine (about 60 years old) was recently hired as the local Home Depot electrical dept. expert and he took the job because the pay and benefits make it a good deal. and he is not afraid to tell people when they are in over their heads and need to call a professional. It is nice to see that you are taking the effort to look things like this up in the NEC. You can't keep people from doing stupid things, but imagine just what they would do if no one was there to give advise ? Scary thought.

mark32

Thanks for the kind words acrwc10. HD has been working out good for me mainly due to the work environment but the pay and benefits makes it perfect for me. I'm tired of crawling through attics and washing my hands in a puddle, ect, ect, I know that sounds wimpy right. I too have no problem telling a customer that he's in over his head. Some homeowners are insane, had a guy in recently that wanted to install an outdoor flood setup in his daughters room and feed it with lamp cord. I actually laughed at the guy and a co-worker standing by asked for his address so we could send a firetruck over but he continued unfazed on his path to total disreguard for electrical safety. When I told the guy he needed to ground the fixture he said he didn't have to because he was installing it inside (The house) and not outside. Another guy holding a how-to-wire book asked me why there's no section on how to change "The Box". Turns out he wanted to change his panel. "With no experience" I said "I wouldn't attempt such a task" and I listed a number of reasons why he'd be in way over his head. Well I've got to get back to work, I wish your friend luck in his new career.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Mark, sounds like you are doing right by your customers. I had to go by our local HD and drop off a card with the manager and told her to please call me next time their "electrical expert" didn't really know the answer.

"But it took me all weekend to dig this 12" deep trench." "Well then it should only take you one day to dig down the additional 6 inches you need.":D

Jim W in Tampa

Homeowners think its easy to wire. Few have a clue about codes or even care. No permit,no inspection. We have all seen the results. Sometimes not till the fire is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.