speed control causing noisy fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

sliderule

I have two bathroom ceiling fans (Delta BreezSlim)and two 4" inline fans (Solar & Palau TD Mixvent) , all around 1 FLA or less (120V). I installed KB Electronics speed controls (KBWC15K). It doesn't matter what speed I adjust to, all fans make a loud medium pitch screeching sound, sort of like a bearing has gone. Fans are fine without the controls connected. The speed control uses a triac and maybe this is the problem? Is there some other type of speed control that will fit in a 1-gang box?

Thanks

sliderule

No change in pitch and maybe a slight change in intensity, if at all. I forgot to mention that I phoned KB Electronics and they had no idea. I am going to contact the fan manufacturers tomorrow. About 8 years ago I installed the same KB Electronics speed control on an inline fan in our house and it has been fine the entire time. It is a different manufacturer but I imagine the motor is similar.

Last edited:

PetrosA

Many of the newer motors will not work with speed controls. I had this situation a few years back with a replacement motor for a Dayton (Grainger) hood where the OEM replacement motor would not work with the original speed control. Customer was not happy, but a call to Grainger and a consult with one of their engineers confirmed that the new motor would require a simple on/off switch.

sliderule

I was worried this might be the case. The bathroom has two fans in it due to a large beam interrupting air flow so there is waay more air being sucked out of the room than needed. If I can't reduce the fan speed, I don't know what the solution will be.

I think I remember reading that one of the fans has a DC motor so maybe what they use to convert to DC isn't compatible with a triac's waveform?

I am just waiting for a reply from Delta on their fan.

I talked to Solar & Palau on their fans and they have a speed control that they sell - SC15. But... physically it looks identical to the KB Electronics one. The tech. I spoke to said it should work with their fans. I bought another brand speed control made/sold by Canarm. It also causes the same noise.

Many of the newer motors will not work with speed controls. I had this situation a few years back with a replacement motor for a Dayton (Grainger) hood where the OEM replacement motor would not work with the original speed control. Customer was not happy, but a call to Grainger and a consult with one of their engineers confirmed that the new motor would require a simple on/off switch.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
All fully variable speed controls I've dealt with cause fan humming that's why I use "quiet fan controls" that have pre selected speeds via split capacitance instead of the triac used in fully variable controls.

sliderule

Delta told me that rotary speed controls are simply not compatible with their fans. They did not elaborate but I assume it's because the motor is a DC. I have another bathroom fan, Panasonic I think (will have to look), and it runs perfectly fine on a speed control. So my options are maybe see if I can change out the guts of the Delta fan and try and get a Panasonic fan assembly in there (probably a very bad idea for code reasons). Second is tearing out the complete fans, but this is a lot of work, but do-able. Third is to install an inline fan in the attic space. The attic space is tight and awkward, but do-able and possibly easier than a re&re of the existing fans.

Solar & Palau said that you can use a rotary speed dimmer on their inline fans. They said that noise is a common with a speed control and there is nothing that can be done. Interestingly, the rotary speed control they sell (#SC-15) is a KB Electronics that I installed, but is re-branded for S&P. The options here are to live with the noise (no) or install a silencer in the downstream duct after the fan. I thought Fantech would be an option as they state right on their website that their fans are "100% speed controllable" but I phoned them and they also said noise from the controller is typical. A manufactured silencer is expensive but they are simple to make so that's what's going to happen.

Thanks!

meternerd

Occupation
retired water & electric utility electrician, meter/relay tech
Have you tried a 3 or 4 position control for a ceiling fan? My fan is dead silent at all speeds.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
All fully variable speed controls I've dealt with cause fan humming that's why I use "quiet fan controls" that have pre selected speeds via split capacitance instead of the triac used in fully variable controls.

I totally agree with this. Use a speed selector 3 or 4 speed switch rather than a variable speed control

Status
Not open for further replies.