Splash pad bonding

JoeBags

Occupation
Electrical Contractor (Master Electrician)
As I read 680, it is my understanding that we need a to bond to the rebar at only (4) locations, and add a conductor 24" in from the exterior perimeter of the pad, no matter the size of the splash pad. (Drive a ground rod and connect it to the rebar at each of these locations. Question is why would the number of connections increase based on the size of the splash pad?)

JoeBags

Occupation
Electrical Contractor (Master Electrician)
No, and spell check got me if the pool or splash pad is larger why would you not be required to add more ground rods.

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
Think of it like this, if you were standing on a sky scraper and jumped up and down, no issue. If you were to walk to the edge and jump down, then you will fall all those stories down and splat.

The idea is similar. You are trying to keep all of the voltage at the same potential to avoid a gradient or a change in potential between where they are in the water and where they step out to the "dry" part. So you extend it so that there is no change between being wet in the water and where they get out. You extend and bond metal parts to create this zone.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
agree with others that ground rods are not part of the equation here as you are not "grounding" but simply bonding.
Does the splash pad slab have rebar, metal matting, or bare copper installed ??

Mystic Pools

Occupation
Swimming Pool Contractor
I would treat this like any inground concrete pool.

Locate 4 points and attach tails, run the perimeter bond and attach to the 4 points. Run a separate dedicated bond wire back to the equipment.
No ground rods.

680.26(B)(2)(b) requires unpaved portions must have perimeter bond 18"-24" from inside edge of pool wall

680.26(B)(2) requires perimeter bonding must extend a minimum of 3' from inside of pool wall. Is this for paved areas that have structural steel?

I'm looking at 2017 and 2023 NEC from Mike Holt's illustrated guide.

The splash pads are generally pitched to the center to retain the water and allow for the circulating pumps to draw the water. The structure will extend beyond the play area and will have structural steel.

Only thing I can think of that may be questionable is the water location on a splash pad may not come close to the actual perimeter of the structure. So how does it how it relates to the required location of the perimeter bond? I guess this would hold true also for a beach entry swimming pool?
I would assume 680.26(B)(2) works for this??

Greentagger

Occupation
Master Electrician, Electrical Inspector
No ground rods are required for bonding. I don’t think you’ll find the words “ground rod” anywhere in article 680.26.
Well actually……………Electrode is mentioned in 680.26(B). But this tells us it is not required to be.