Splice Inside Tenon Pipe - Exterior Pole Mount LED Fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone, we are working on a project where it would be ideal to splice, wire nut, wrap with electrical tape and tuck into the 2 3/8" tenon pipe mount that the LED fixture is mounted on to (slipfitter). Since this is not an open-air connection, is this acceptable? Thoughts? Thanks!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Not sure about the tenon, but a luminare pole is considered a raceway, and we can't splice in a raceway. I would suggest pulling new conductors down to the handhole and spice there where it can be serviced. And regular wire nuts would not be my choice. I would use the water proof type with the Goo inside.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Most fixtures that mount on tenons have the splice in the tenon because there are only 6” of wire coming out of fixture mount that fits on the tenon.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
The luminaires I have installed on tenons the wire is left long enough to terminate inside the luminaire.

So your saying that the factory installed conductors hanging out of the slipfitter mount on the fixture (that mounts on the tenon) you wind up pulling back into the fixture then running field installed conductors back thru the yoke and make up in the fixture itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.