splice vs pull box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike01

when sizing a pull box for conduits and cables larger than #6 for angled pull installation the dimensions of the box need to be 6x the largest conduit diameter + the sum of the remaining, so for two 4"C. I would need approx 28" clear, there is also the distance from the entering conduit to the exiting must be 3x the conduit diameter (going from memory). my question is in a box where I am splicing conductors does one still need to comply with the distacne from the conduit entry on one wall and the exit on the other as the wire will not be pulled from one into the other but rather spliced in the box?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
yes,
the pull box and junction boxes are sized the same way.

(2) Angle or U Pulls, or Splices. Where splices or where
angle or U pulls are made, the distance between each raceway
entry inside the box or conduit body and the opposite
wall of the box or conduit body shall not be less than six
times the metric designator (trade size) of the largest raceway
in a row......

maghazadeh

when sizing a pull box for conduits and cables larger than #6 for angled pull installation the dimensions of the box need to be 6x the largest conduit diameter + the sum of the remaining, so for two 4"C. I would need approx 28" clear, there is also the distance from the entering conduit to the exiting must be 3x the conduit diameter (going from memory). my question is in a box where I am splicing conductors does one still need to comply with the distacne from the conduit entry on one wall and the exit on the other as the wire will not be pulled from one into the other but rather spliced in the box?

This is not correct, the six times requirement is not for the box size, it is minimum distance from the edge of conduit entry to the edge of conduit exiting the box, so box dimensions for the example you gave will be more than 28".

there is also the distance from the entering conduit to the exiting must be 3x the conduit diameter (going from memory)[/QUOTE]

Where did this came from, I never hear this before, Where did you get X3 from?

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
[QUOTE there is also the distance from the entering conduit to the exiting must be 3x the conduit diameter (going from memory)[/QUOTE]

Where did this came from, I never hear this before, Where did you get X3 from?[/QUOTE]

I think he meant 8 times for a straight pull.

Status
Not open for further replies.