splices in panelboards and loadcenters

Status
Not open for further replies.

davewelec

Is it permissible to have wirenut splices in a panelboard or loadcenter. I've heard many say that it is not but can't back it up with a code reference.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Re: splices in panelboards and loadcenters

Take a look at 312.8, but make sure that you read all of the section.
Don

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Don is correct. Anyone who has done a few service upgrades will tell you that this is a common practice. If the job is done in a neat workman like manner it's very easy to stay within the requirements of 312.8 which limits the cross sectional fill at 40% and the 75% cross sectional fill for the area contains the splices.

celtic

I dunno about this....in the "brochure" is states:
"No need for expensive and frustrating wire nuts."
When is the last time a wirenut kicked your butt?
furious3.gif

Why the 25K AIC MCB rating? Will the average HO or EC look to check the AIC rating? What happens if a 10K AIC cb is installed here?

AIC Ratings on CBs (thread from 2 years ago)

What they are selling amounts to little more than a "five circuit terminal block" (which can be used for up to 10 ckts).

Heavy marketing, little value ~ for me, at least.

mdshunk

The whole internals of that box are mounted a little higher so that short conductors may reach without splice. I used one of those CH remodel panels just for kicks, since that is my main brand. It didn't benefit me enough to justify the increased cost. If I were doing service changes on hundreds of government housing units at a go like I've done in the past, this might have been of some benefit time wise.

celtic

It does look pretty impressive on first "glance"...but those "in the know", know better
cheers.gif

bobarens

Originally posted by davewelec:
Is it permissible to have wirenut splices in a panelboard or loadcenter. I've heard many say that it is not but can't back it up with a code reference.
I don't have the code book. So, is it allowed? How about splices other than wirenuts, like, soldered or butt crimp splicers? I'm replacing an old 100 amp fuse panel with a new 200 amp breaker panel in St. Paul, MN and some of the old wires are too short to reach the terminals.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I don't know that it is prohibited, but I do not like soldered joints. Many times they are made up using the solder as part of the cirucit, and lead is not a real good conductor. If there is any amount of current it could be an issue. Solder should be used as the mechancial, not the elctrical conenction if you insist on soldered connections.

Personally, I liked the tied connections the Mexcian electricians used. No wire nuts. Just knot the wires together and tape over it. I was skeptical at first, but I tested a few of them and they are tighter and more secure than a typical wire nut connection. Not good for solid of course, but very effective on small, stranded wire connections.

jwelectric

(B) Splices. Conductors shall be spliced or joined with splicing devices identified for the use or by brazing, welding, or soldering with a fusible metal or alloy. Soldered splices shall first be spliced or joined so as to be mechanically and electrically secure without solder and then be soldered. All splices and joints and the free ends of conductors shall be covered with an insulation equivalent to that of the conductors or with an insulating device identified for the purpose.
:)

Jhr

By petersonra: I liked the tied connections the Mexcian electricians used. No wire nuts. Just knot the wires together and tape over it. I was skeptical at first, but I tested a few of them and they are tighter and more secure than a typical wire nut connection. Not good for solid of course, but very effective on small, stranded wire connections.
I went down to Mexico on the 4th of July to visit family and boy I tell you what some of the ways these guys wire things will leave you speechless, one example: three house running off a 60 amp service, one is fed with an extension cord I found that most houses are 60 amp or 30 amp. And you should see the tie in at the utility pole, wires wrapped around the utility wires no crimp on connectors :eek: "NO BUENO AMIGO" next time I go I"ll take some pictures of some of this stuff.

[ August 04, 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Jhr ]

apauling

A few years ago I rewired some of the officer's houses on the ex-Alameds naval Air Station to provide metering with new 100 amp panels. The existing 3 bedroom w/garage units were provided with a twin 30 amp Zinscos as overcurrent protection, and about 6 to 10 20 amp circuits, depending. Apparently these houses didn't have any problems. These units were for officers with children.

60 amps goes a long way in the rural outreaches.

paul

straps

There are many houses in NYC located on small islands that had 120Volt 30 amp services up till 1987 I know cause I upgraded about 40 of them to 150amp 220 volt Cooking-heating-ac via propane

Status
Not open for further replies.