Splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

VisualJon

I am trying to verify the code for making splices in open space or inside a free-standing piece of furniture (retail display case to be exact). I would like to take an LED driver (transformer) which comes out of the box with 3 input wires for 110vAC, i want to make a connection(splice) to an SJO cord(with male edison connector on the end). Can i just use standard butt splices then covered with heat shrink or similar? Is this acceptable per code (i.e. NEC 2011, 110.14(B)) I am trying to eliminate making a connection inside a box. I am looking to make more of an "in-line" connection. If the above is not acceptable. Are there other splice kits or in-line junction products that are approved for use per the NEC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

VisualJon

Splices

This would not be in a wall. The connection would be made in the base of a free-standing wood display case (as seen in jewelry or similar retail stores). So if you opened the cabinet doors you would see this transformer w SJO cord spliced onto it's input wires. Does this change your thought?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This would not be in a wall. The connection would be made in the base of a free-standing wood display case (as seen in jewelry or similar retail stores). So if you opened the cabinet doors you would see this transformer w SJO cord spliced onto it's input wires. Does this change your thought?

It is still a free splice. NEC requires a jb for those connections. I am also not sure about sjo cord being used. Look at 400.7 & .8

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I don't think you can make a flying splice inside a wall like that.
Inside a wall may be the closest analogy, but this would be inside a (freestanding?) piece of furniture. Unless you are getting UL listing for the resulting piece of furniture with built-in lighting I would expect that you would have to use NEC compliant wiring methods for the 120 supply to the transformer or else provide some sort of a junction box to contain the splice.

If you take a table lamp as a different analogy, the wiring connections inside that lamp are part of a UL-listed assembly, and typically involve 120 volt splices between the line cord and the internal wiring. That table lamp can do that because it is UL-listed.
There will be a question about whether or not NEC has anything at all to say about the wiring after the outlet the furniture is plugged into, but some safety rules should apply. Either a splice inside an inaccessible part of the furniture or an exposed splice and transformer input wires loose inside the furniture and accessible make me nervous.

VisualJon

Splices

Golddigger...Thanks for the comments.

I understand your points. I am actually a lighting manufacture and I am submitting this product to UL for approval. The idea as a lighting mfg. is that if i can provide a transformer with cord & plug, and it is UL listed with my lighting fixtures, as a system. Then there is no need for the mill worker (case/furniture mfg.) to need to get the case UL approved. They would just specify and outlet in the floor over where the case sits. And then our UL listed lighting system just plugs in similar to a corded lamp (as you used in your analogy).

We are getting our LED system listed to UL 2108 & 8750, and then specifically for this furniture application we are getting tested to UL 962 which has the requirements (per UL) for the furniture aspect of it.

So the real question is if UL would find it acceptable that i provide the LED driver/transformer with a cord & plug attached. In some cases i can buy LED drivers that already come from the mfg. that way, but on other modeled drivers they just have 3 wires for AC input (hot/neutral/ground), and these are potted inside the transformer so i cannot go inside to replace them to an SJO or similar cable. That is why i am looking to make this in-line splice.

Any further thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Any further thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated!
I would feel better about the splice being inside some sort of enclosure that is attached to the transformer. Especially since you would have no control over how the equipment gets integrated into any particular piece of furniture. This would also allow for proper strain relief so that the cord could not pull on the transformer wires.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I am trying to verify the code for making splices in open space or inside a free-standing piece of furniture (retail display case to be exact).

I am actually a lighting manufacture and I am submitting this product to UL for approval.
As a manufactured assembly, the splices in the assembly are covered under other regulation than that of the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Posting your question here, in an NEC Forum, will just give you confusing answers. The NEC covers the Premises Wiring (System), as defined in the NEC Article 100 Definitions. The last sentence of the definition describes wiring in things that ARE NOT part of the Premises Wiring (System), and you have either a luminaire, an appliance, or similar equipment, so . . .

PetrosA

How you get the UL listing is up to you, but I'll put my two cents in. From a maintenance POV, I'd rather see a driver with either screw terminals or wirenutted connections for swapping out if it goes bad. You'll probably have to have a grommet or something for the cord, and it would be easier if you didn't have to replace both the cord and the transformer together in case one or the other fails.

Something like this would be nice:

http://www.diodeled.com/lo-pro-junction-box/

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

if the wood display has a UL listing, then that assembly has been tested and certified.
however you do that is between UL and you.

without that, you need a J box and cover, unless you can find a listed device for the purpose.
i've seen those UL listed taps for romex that puncture, but not anything like this....

iwire

Staff member
As a manufactured assembly, the splices in the assembly are covered under other regulation than that of the National Electrical Code (NEC).

Posting your question here, in an NEC Forum, will just give you confusing answers. The NEC covers the Premises Wiring (System), as defined in the NEC Article 100 Definitions. The last sentence of the definition describes wiring in things that ARE NOT part of the Premises Wiring (System), and you have either a luminaire, an appliance, or similar equipment, so . . .

The NEC applies to show cases does it not?

410.11 410.59 etc

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The NEC applies to show cases does it not?

410.11 410.59 etc

410.1 Scope. This article covers luminaires, portable luminaires, lampholders, pendants, incandescent filament lamps, arc lamps, electric-discharge lamps, decorative lighting products, lighting accessories for temporary seasonal and holiday use, portable flexible lighting products, and the wiring and equipment forming part of such products and lighting installations.
Sounds debatable at best for lighting which is an incidental part of something whose primary purpose is not to deliver light. And it does not imply that all of the rest of the NEC applies (such as wiring methods.)

iwire

Staff member
Sounds debatable at best for lighting which is an incidental part of something whose primary purpose is not to deliver light. And it does not imply that all of the rest of the NEC applies (such as wiring methods.)

The sections exist, it seems the CMP sees it differently.

It is my opinion if this wiring is not being done by a shop with the ability to produce a listed unit that the NEC would apply.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
The sections exist, it seems the CMP sees it differently.

It is my opinion if this wiring is not being done by a shop with the ability to produce a listed unit that the NEC would apply.
In this case the O.P's intent is to get the assembly approved. The question then becomes what is likely to get approved.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I agree with you Bob. But Jon says he's submitting this thing to UL for approval.

I am actually a lighting manufacture and I am submitting this product to UL for approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.