Splices

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff43222

I was at the supply house the other day, and one of the counter guys showed me a splicing device that he said could be used in lieu of a box and could be hidden inside a wall. The device is made by Tyco and is called: Nonmetallic (Type NM-1) Sheathed Cable Splicing Device 1116377.

When I looked it up at the company's Website, it mentioned NEC 545, 550, 551, and 336-21 under "Agency Approvals," but those articles deal with manufactured buildings, mobile homes, RVs, etc., which I don't work on. I perused 300.15 and the related articles listed in the FPN in 300.15(E), but I'm still not clear as to whether this device could be buried inside a wall. I've always operated with the idea that splices must be in a box and remain accessible, so my gut tells me I can't use this splicing device if it's going to be covered up at some point.

Anyone have any experience with one of these?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: Splices

I don't have first hand experience with installing these.

However, after looking at the Specification Sheet PDF I note that the connectors can only be connected once.

The sheet says the units may be concealed, or not.

I also found a Michigan Bureau Of Construction Code Bulletin that, on the left side of page 4, warns about the reuse of the connectors.

benaround

Jeff,

Did you read Al's info? If not, these splice connectors are for use only on pre-manafactured homes,rv's, etc.

frank

steved

We use a similar product from Molex in building motorhomes and they have to be accessible. As far as I know, the only place this type of splice can be concealed is in joining together the parts of a manufactured home (NEC 545.13).

redfish

Just looking at the pdf, it seems to me that if a good connection was not made, it would create heat.Too chancy(Is that a word?). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.