Splicing conductors in panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidA

480sparky said:
Wrapped clockwise or course, not counter-clockwise.;)

Is that clockwise as you look at the top of the wire nut or at the open end? I'd hate to get it backwards and fail an inspection sometime.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
480sparky said:
That's why you aim the open end of the wire nut (with the conductors) up, so the electrons won't leak out all over the bottom of the tub. :grin:
No, no, no! The open end should be down. Electrons are lighter than air.

They're all floating up. No wonder your electric bill is so high. Sheesh! :roll:

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician
LarryFine said:
No, no, no! The open end should be down. Electrons are lighter than air.

They're all floating up. No wonder your electric bill is so high. Sheesh! :roll:

Sorry Larry,

The open end needs to be up. If installed down it would allow for voltage drop and all the electrons would fall out.

SEO

Soldering joints is a lot of extra work, back when that was the preffered method (before wirenuts) some of the installers that were in a hurry would drip solder on the floor under their overhead splices and not dip their joints. Inspectors would see the solder on the floor and might not check splice. Also when bx was an approved wiring method the same installers might use red paint or nail polish on the ends of the cable to and not use an anti-short bushing. Todays installers have even more tricks to circumvent the code. This forum is very helpful and informitive in giving good code complient information and electrical assistance. Just wanted to add a couple of old time non code complient tricks. Has anybody seen this?

Jhaney

ultramegabob said:
My dad still solders joints, its hard to teach old dogs new tricks...:roll:

Oh I wouldnt say that my dad learned pretty fast after I put the shock collar on him:D
(just to head anyone off I'm only kidding)

Status
Not open for further replies.