Splicing copper to aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

I'm moving a oven outlet over a couple of feet. And I was wondering, is it ok to wirenut the copper to the existing aluminum. Using some no-lox first. I was going to use some big blue wirenuts. I always thought it was ok for aluminum to touch copper as long as you use no-lox.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I've done it in a pinch but I know it's not right. Even though I can't see it being much different than buying those listed purple wirenuts which seem to do the exact same thing.

I like to use small burndy insulated taps as long as the j-box is big enough. They work great for al-cu connections.:cool:

zappy

Why does it says on this Ideal bottle of no-lox, copper to aluminum connections then?:-? I'm going to take your guy's advice just to be safe. Thank you.

B4T

Why does it says on this Ideal bottle of no-lox, copper to aluminum connections then?:-? I'm going to take your guy's advice just to be safe. Thank you.

I think that goes back years ago when "pig tailing" was an OK method

Just make sure what ever method you use lists cu/al.. purple wire nuts are way too small.

I'm not sure what bug nuts are rated for.

Maybe crimping butt splices might work if the listing works.. Good luck

nakulak

they make split bolts dual rated for this purpose (that's all I've used as well). I would imagine that there are other terminals rated for this purpose as well, just make sure that they are rated for the purpose, or as indicated above, the results will be bad news.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The split-bolts I've seen for joining dissimilar metals have a plate that separates the two wires.

A 4-11/16" box has enough room for the tubular set-screw type of splicers. Just tape them well.

I'm suprised nobody mentioned "If you extend the circuit, the whole thing must be four wires."

zappy

The split-bolts I've seen for joining dissimilar metals have a plate that separates the two wires.

A 4-11/16" box has enough room for the tubular set-screw type of splicers. Just tape them well.

I'm suprised nobody mentioned "If you extend the circuit, the whole thing must be four wires."

Thanks for the heads up, the circuit has a ground. If it didn't though, couldn't I run a ground wire to a grounding electrode to bring it up to code? Or would I have to run a whole new 4 wire cable from the panel, to where I need the oven outlet?

zappy

I talk to a guy at Ideal today

I talk to a guy at Ideal today

He said that the purple wirenuts have no-lox inside, and it's the same stuff that comes in the bottle, it's just refined more so that it can be injected into the wirenut without any pockets of air in the wirenut. Any pocket of air could cause oxidation. He said the shell is rated the same temp. as regular wirenuts. So just fill a regular wirenut to the top with no-lox and your good to go. JK:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.