Splicing inside service panels and sub panels question???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jango

I have a situation where a friend of mine wants to add what he calls a "critical load sub panel" which will be fed by a battery back-up system via his solar company. They are bringing over a battery back up set up which they say is rated at 40 amps @ 120V. I need to bring six existing circuits into the new "critical load sub panel". Three of the existing circuits originate from the meter/main/load service panel and the other three existing circuits come from a different sub panel. I have two questions: Am I allowed to splice inside the service panel and the sub panel to extend these six circuits to the new "critical load sub panel"? And if so, is there a particular type of connector that needs to be used for the splicing? Also, the fact that the "critical load sub panel" is fed at 120V can I install a jumper between to two critical load sub panel input lugs so I have 120V on both legs of the busbar? Or is there a specific type of sub panel unit to be used in this situation that is only fed with 120V? Any input on all of this would be greatly appreciated.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Splicing is allowed as long as you dont excce 75% of cross sectional area for spliced and 40 % for wire. I dont have code bok handy to give you sections.
any type of listed wire connector is allowed, ie a wite nut.
For the panel. I have done what you ask, cant recall a rule against it, but you cant connect any 240 loads.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Actually, the one flaw in this plan is jumping the panel lugs. Use a wire-nut or a 3-hole bus-bar and two pigtails to get around it.

synchro

Occupation
EE
The neutral bar on the new panel will need to supply the total current draw of all 6 circuits, even though the the 120V phase current is split between two buses. It's probably not a problem, but it should be kept in mind when selecting the panel.
Also if some of the 6 circuits are part of a multi-wire branch circuit then the neutral may be subject to overloading when all circuits are driven with the same phase.

JoeNorm

I would confirm that the backup will only be 120V. We do a lot of this and always supply the the "backed up loads" with 240V

Status
Not open for further replies.