Split 120v outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

cashpoppper

Occupation
hvac
I did a small diy cheap job with some left over project materials. I wanted a duplex outlet split right next to the subpanel, so if I trip one with power tools I won't loose my lights. Seems like a decent idea?

I added an outlet circuit in a sub panel, I broke the tabs on both the hot and neutral sides, ran separate 12g neutrals and hots, a ground 12g, bonded the ground to the box. 20amp QOs.

The entire length of the circuit might be 14 inches at most from breaker to outlet. 3/4" with plastic bushings on the knockout size of choice.

I thought I did a nice job all to code, but now I'm reading some petty details that I need to have a handle tie or a spdt to kill the yoke entirely? What's the point of having tab breaks on the neutral side for such an application?

Given how short the circuit run is can't we just look the otherway at such code detail? :/

kwired

Electron manager
The reasoning I would assume is to only have one disconnecting means for the single yoke device. If you plug a tracer in one side and shut off that one breaker and don't realize there is a second breaker feeding the device- you may be in for a surprise when you go to work on it.

Note that you could break off tabs and have one receptacle always on and the other switched and if both fed from same single pole breaker no "handle tie or common trip" rule applies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The inherent danger of someone thinking the entire receptacle is de-energized is there regardless of the proximity to the panel,

cashpoppper

Occupation
hvac
Why do you think you would lose the lights?
Really? Well, if the tabs aren't broke and on one breaker, lights on top half and power tools on the bottom, hmmm?

The inherent danger of someone thinking the entire receptacle is de-energized is there regardless of the proximity to the panel,
True.

You could but now that you know the code requirement you should fix the mistake.
Ugh. True again.

You could change the split receptacle to two non-split receptacles.

Yeah, well, I guess, more materials to make it safe.
The reasoning I would assume is to only have one disconnecting means for the single yoke device. If you plug a tracer in one side and shut off that one breaker and don't realize there is a second breaker feeding the device- you may be in for a surprise when you go to work on it.

Note that you could break off tabs and have one receptacle always on and the other switched and if both fed from same single pole breaker no "handle tie or common trip" rule applies.

Yeah, more material, more annoying. Complicating a simple idea.

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
I did a small diy cheap job with some left over project materials. I wanted a duplex outlet split right next to the subpanel, so if I trip one with power tools I won't loose my lights. Seems like a decent idea?

I added an outlet circuit in a sub panel, I broke the tabs on both the hot and neutral sides, ran separate 12g neutrals and hots, a ground 12g, bonded the ground to the box. 20amp QOs.

The entire length of the circuit might be 14 inches at most from breaker to outlet. 3/4" with plastic bushings on the knockout size of choice.

I thought I did a nice job all to code, but now I'm reading some petty details that I need to have a handle tie or a spdt to kill the yoke entirely? What's the point of having tab breaks on the neutral side for such an application?

Given how short the circuit run is can't we just look the otherway at such code detail? :/
Yes... Lets go back to the first post.
How do you think a dedicated circuit 14" from the panel.is going to trip the lights?
Either you are leaving out details or you're not a electrician.... Doi
Hhmm?
The last sentence is my fav fave...

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is obviously DIY thread and therefore we are closing it per the forum rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.