split 400a into 2 200a

superchief1

Occupation
builder
I have a building being rebuilt which has a 400a service (cl320 meter) that I want to split into (2) 200a split services to (2) load centers - these are on the same meter which is what we want.

We definitely want to split the 400a into (2) 200a load centers which are already wired and are located at opposite ends of the building.

There is a 400a service disconnect after the meter which will stay, so everything to be done is after that service disconnect.

The current service is split into (2) 200a services via a 400a Cutler Hammer Genswitch ATS which has 4 lugs, but the generator is trash.

1. Anyone know if the ATS needs to be replaced with age, as it appears to be industrial quality and in fine condition but I don't know what the age or service life of these is?

IF I GET A NEW ATS

2. Most new ATSs only have 2 lugs it seems, even in the 400a lines. Anyone know a 4 lug manufacturer?

Alternately, what equipment should I investigate to split a 400a split phase service into (2) 200a split phases services if I do it after the ATS?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Do you have an Electrical Contractor working with you?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Your questions would seem to require additional information you have not provided.

I don't see how you can split the "services" (these are probably really feeders) via the ATS unless it has two 200 A OCPDs in it.

You seem to be suggesting the existing setup has a single 400 A OCPD and lugs for extra wires for the existing 200 A panelboards. That does not seem to meet code requirements, unless the existing panelboards are very close.

A sketch would be helpful.

It is hard to tell if an ATS needs replacement or not. The only way you will know for sure is to pay someone to come and inspect and test it. If it is defective in some way, it is likely it can be repaired, but the cost might be crazy. You won't know what your options are without paying someone who is qualified to come out.

I think even if you find an ATS with as many lugs as you want, it won't meet code if the new panelboards are a long ways away. You would likely need to add a couple of fused disconnects or enclosed CBs downstream of the ATS to feeder the new panelboards.

Last edited:

superchief1

Occupation
builder
The switch is a Cutler Hammer Genswitch ATS 2 pole 1 phase 400a 240VAC/60Hz 3 wire

It has 2 sets of lugs so there are 2 sets of wires connected that are feeding 2 load centers each of which has it's own breaker.

So the ATS is splitting the 400a service into (2) 200a services inside the building.

So if I remove that ATS then I need a new way to split the 400a service into (2) 200a services. My master electrician has only done that by having 2 meters at the meter base and does not know another way to do it.

So what I am asking is if anyone can suggest a convenient way without 2 meters because I don't want 2 meters.

superchief1

Occupation
builder
what am I missing - why is this question out of bounds?

I have no doubt he can figure this out and propose a solution, I wanted to see if anyone else had thoughts on it.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Your EC should be here asking
what am I missing - why is this question out of bounds?
Because the forum is for those in the electrical trades. Your EC needs to come here and ask his questions. What you are wanting to know is not difficult.

This site is designed for:

• Electrical Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.