Split bolt for 240 to 120 change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnpatucci

I would like to convert an old 240 VAC circuit to a 120 VAC. The feed for old 240 utilized SE stranded aluminum 2 wire/ plus ground.
I am considering using the red 8 awg as a white and the 8 awg for the hot and run it to a 20 amp QO breaker via 12/2 NM. For the connection using al/cu split bolt connectors and also some Noalox to connect to 12 awg. I can't see to find any restrictions in the NEC for this.
I'm retired commercial and have not done much residential. Any advice would be appreciated.

johnpatucci

Thanks

Thanks

I appreciate the feedback. I will re-examine the SE type it may be a #6 - I was a guess it was #8 awg. This circuit is to provide a dedicated 20A circuit to feed a microwave. It formerly was used to feed an electric range that has been replaced with a gas range. I hope to save a lot of pulling as this circuit goes into the attic across the house and down to service entry panel in the garage.

iwire

Staff member
Are we not allowed to re-identified a conductor, smaller than #6, if it is in a cable assembly?

We are allowed to mark a white to black in a cable but we are not allowed to mark a black to white. I think it is an issue that rarely comes up as most cables have a white conductor.

IMO what the OP plans to do is in fact an NEC violation. What would I do? I will exercise my 5th amendment rights.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I have seen range cables as large as #4, which is legal to remark. Any 4 wire cable will have a white conductor, most 3 wire cables have black, red & bare, some had white instead of bare. Nothing unsafe about doing this, if wire is in good condition.

Status
Not open for further replies.